Malo fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamidreza

Junior
Reaction score
hi all
i have some question regarding Malo fermentation
1- do we have to go on this fermentation if we are making fruit wine like pomegranate or mulberry wine? or it just for grapes?
2- i cant have access to any malo fermentation bacteria so is there any other way to make this process going?
3- what would happen if you do not do any thing with the malo , and just bottle the wine?

Question 1 You don't have to do anything to just make wine. Sometimes fruit wines may benefit from malo but generally most are not put thru it.
# 2 I believe malo may occur naturally but there is no way to know if it will happen or not unless you add the malo bacteria to the batch.
#3 Most likely you will be happy with the wine and in a few months be merrily drinking away. Good luck with it and enjoy. Arne.

I have never done MLF on my wines. It reduces harshness, but I've read that it also reduces the fruity taste and aroma. Not a big deal on a dry wine, but if you're making a fruit wine and trying to emulate the flavor of the fruit, it might be counterproductive. I make muscadine, elderberry, and blackberry wines. The only one of those that lends itself well to a dry wine is elderberry and I don't know if elderberries have much malic acid. I know they don't have much of any acid compared to these other two fruits. Do you know if pomegranates and mulberries have much malic acid? I would think mulberries would be another low acid fruit.

Back