Malic to Lactic Acid question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zack67360

Reaction score
I have two 5 gallon carboys of wine aging and it has been in the carboys since October. It was in the primary for about 2 weeks. There are still a very small amount of tiny bubbles coming up in the carboys, looks just like the videos I've watched on YouTube of the Malic Acid conversion taking place. My question is, how long does this process take? Should I wait until all bubbling has stopped before bottling. It's been racked once already. Temperature is 65*.
Thank you,
Jack

I did add nutrient to it for the yeast, but nothing added to help the bacteria convert the malic acid. And there is no hurry, other than I would like to free up the carboys and get more wine going. I do plan on bottling in the spring. Although the blackberry I made, I stabalized it before I realized what I was seeing was the malic acid converting. I thought it was still the fermentation going on and it was strong enough, so added the campden and potassium sorbate. Now just waitting on everything to settle out and clear before bottling. Just wanted an idea how long the acid conversion would take place. Thanks John and Wade for your reply.
Jack

Did you sulfite yet? If so it may be gassing.

Hi Tom. Not since adding camden tabs to the must. I was thinking I would add more with the second racking. Now I'm not sure whether I should. Jack

I would add 1/4tsp of k-meta and degass at this point. What is the gravity?

Latest posts

Back