Malbec Must, Yee Ha! Any issues?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just pressed by Malbec from WGD. SG.998.
I added all the skins to a pail of Amarone I picked up last week. Not sure if it's a good blend, but we will see. If anything it will make an OK juice pail much better. I know this pail is inoculated with 1118, but I'm hoping the BDX yeast from the grape skins actually takes over the ferment.
ImageUploadedByWine Making1446426959.514820.jpg
ImageUploadedByWine Making1446427007.937479.jpg

ColemanM I too am done with kits...there is certainly an off taste for me. Nice setup you have there...what's in your glass? That is a great color! Looks like a sweet wine or whiskey of some sort! I just had some port from V Satui. Man that stuff Is good! Perhaps I will order another frozen must bucket (the storage place for WGD is within driving distance) and add the malbec skins to that! That may make something crazy and fun!! I'm just not sure about a juice bucket as Ive never used one and I can't find one within driving distance anyway.

ColemanM I too am done with kits...there is certainly an off taste for me. Nice setup you have there...what's in your glass? That is a great color! Looks like a sweet wine or whiskey of some sort! I just had some port from V Satui. Man that stuff Is good! Perhaps I will order another frozen must bucket (the storage place for WGD is within driving distance) and add the malbec skins to that! That may make something crazy and fun!! I'm just not sure about a juice bucket as Ive never used one and I can't find one within driving distance anyway.

Coleman,

You simply got it kid! Fire, Cigar, and (Brandy?). That is what I call "Smelling the Roses"!

I highly recommend that you folks give fresh grapes a try. If at all possible, you will find that it is cheaper in the long run. Not including equipment costs, wine costs me about $4.50 per bottle.

What I really like is that I feel that I have more control over more aspects of the wine making process. I can also QC the grapes (or sort them), which I can not do with frozen must of juice pails.

Mmmmmm, V Satui has a madeira that the hubby and I bought when we were there, and still talk about it. Yummy stuff.

You could order from juicegrape.com if you want a frozen juice bucket.

I highly recommend that you folks give fresh grapes a try. If at all possible, you will find that it is cheaper in the long run. Not including equipment costs, wine costs me about $4.50 per bottle.

What I really like is that I feel that I have more control over more aspects of the wine making process. I can also QC the grapes (or sort them), which I can not do with frozen must of juice pails.

More control? yes. Better tasting? yes. Cheaper? no way.

Fresh grapes are expensive here. If they aren't for you then I envy you! 3 lugs of CV stuff here start at $150 and go up from there.

100 lb CV frozen must starts at $200+$60 shipping and goes up from there.

MLB is about $30+ shipped depending on strain

A couple of malic tests are probably $10+

Yeast, additives, oak etc. are another $10+

So 6 gal finished wine from fresh starts around $200 and from frozen around $310 That's about $7+ per bottle for fresh and $10+ per bottle for frozen not including equipment. Moving out of CV might double those costs.

The most expensive kits at my LHBS are CC Showcase and RJS En Primeur. Both can be had for about $130 or just over $4 per bottle.

One alternative I just tried this fall to cut costs is a fresh juice bucket with skins from Festa Juice. These are under $100/6 gal finished or just over $3 per bottle. I cannot comment on how the bucket on its would have been because I added about 20 lb pressed skins to it, but early on all indications are that it will end up much better than a kit, and there is obviously no KT. It does seem a bit thin compared to the all grape wine though. I suppose you get what you pay for.

More control? yes. Better tasting? yes. Cheaper? no way.

3 lugs of CV stuff here start at $150 and go up from there.

100 lb CV frozen must starts at $200+$60 shipping and goes up from there.

MLB is about $30+ shipped depending on strain

A couple of malic tests are probably $10+

Yeast, additives, oak etc. are another $10+

So 6 gal finished wine from fresh starts around $200 and from frozen around $310 That's about $7+ per bottle for fresh and $10+ per bottle for frozen not including equipment. Moving out of CV might double those costs.

The most expensive kits at my LHBS are CC Showcase and RJS En Primeur. Both can be had for about $130 or just over $4 per bottle.

For me, the breakdown is as follows..

For my dealer, a high end price would be (per lug) $38-$42. Most years it is much lower and sometimes the price below the $30 per lug price) So, my 3 lug batch comes to about $114 - $126 on the high end.

This should yield about 7.5 gallons or about 29 bottles of the finished stuff. This brings the grape cost to $3.93 to 4.34 per bottle.

For me, there is no shipping. I pick them up from my local distributor (about a 45 minute drive).

An acid test kit ($7.95) will perform close to 20 tests. This cost, then is about .40 per test. If you test twice per batch, this works out to .80 per batch (or about .03 per bottle)

Yeast 2 (pkts) runs about $2.50 per batch (or about .09 per bottle)

Oak is about $6.00 or (.21 per bottle)

A pound of k-meta works out to about $8.00. A pound will be spread out over (at least) 5 or 6 batches when you also factor in the washing of equipment and bottles. This works out to .045 per bottle.

MLB costs me about $30 for a 66 gallon batch or 8 three lug batches. This translates to 3.75 per batch (or .13 per bottle)

so...

grapes 3.93 - 4.34
test kit .03
yeast: .09
Nutrient .02
acid(avg) .02
Oak .21
kmeta .04
MLB .13

So, my Total cost per bottle is $4.47 to $4.88 (and most years even cheaper than that). With the exception of what I call specialty grapes (imported or hard to find), I have never had a per bottle cost top $6.

Of course this is due to my location. I live in the NYC area where there are a TON of good, solid, old world folks (and thus a big market for all things winemaking related). I also have a good relationship with my distributor (over 25 years).

In my post, what I was trying to do is to simply put forward the notion. Even if you have to drive a long way, perhaps it will be worth it. Even if you have to pay for shipping, perhaps you could work out a deal where it will be worth while.

A I am saying is that worth looking into...

So an update on the mall Malbec. I pulled it out of MLF two weeks ago or so which means it was in MLFfor almost four and a half months! Partially because I had no way to test it but mostly because I was busy with a military retirement etc. I was tasting along the way though and let me tell you it tastes amazing! Taste like a 40 or $50 bottle already, of course I am biased though. And I was afraid that I'd added too much TA to it but it doesn't seem like it, it tastes amazing! I just oaked the three gallons with about one and a half ounces of French Oak so it is now starting to age in oak. Really looking forward to this Malbec from WGD and wishing I had bought two pills of it!

I also finally dosed with kmeta my (4) pails. Sitting now in two 6.5 gallon carboys. One getting 4 oz of medium French. The other 4 oz American medium toasted. One carboy is two months older, and used a ratchet press, the other used a blichmann wineasy. The first is more astringent in tannins but both are very dry. Can't wait til 2018 when I can put these in rotation. [emoji24]

Coleman, awesome! How long will you oak it? 2018 is a long way off! I'm not sure I can wait that long. What are your plans for it through the aging process? I really need to get a press, that will make it all so much easier!!

Back