Making Sassafras Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both batches are in good shape. Tried both, and the smell I thought was acetone was really strong alcohol. It doesn't have much odor besides that. Now it just needs to age a year so I can try it again then. I've had a glass of both and they are fine, just harsh at the moment. I'm not worried about the risks of sassafras. Thanks for the concerns. My family has drank the tea dating back to my great great grandparents on both sides of the family, and all have lived with better then average health into their 80's and some have hit 100 years of age. No cancer. Most die of hard work and/or boredom. My only focus with is making a good wine with it.

I have 3 gallons of sassafras wine aging right now. I am part native American and sassafras is a native american medicine, I'm not worrried about the so called cancer risk. I started it on 5/15. I'm about to rack it and add k-meta and sorbate.

Keep us posted on the results! How does it taste? How's the smell? Color? My family tried it and all but myself could taste the sassafras. I think once it smooths it should be more noticeable.

Sassafras update

I racked my sassafras wine last night, added sorbate and campden, and backseetened to 1.010. It tastes pretty good with good sassafras flavor. I got it a little sweeter than I wanted. It should be really good in about 6 months.

I racked my sassafras wine last night, added sorbate and campden, and backseetened to 1.010. It tastes pretty good with good sassafras flavor. I got it a little sweeter than I wanted. It should be really good in about 6 months.

How did you make your sassafras infusion? I'm trying to figure out the proper strength. I have 2 batches aging, but won't be sure of the quality for another 6 months. I want to get this wine perfected! :try

Sassafras

I dug the roots, washed them, cut them up and boiled them. I went with a very strong sassafras tea infusion. The wine is interesting. We'll see how it is in 6 months

I tried some of the 2nd batch last night. It was perfect!! I was amazed at how smooth it was. Like silk. Perfect flavor and aroma as well. Next time I'll toy with making it a tad stronger since this wine is great even when it hasn't aged but a month or so.

Less sweet

I made a gallon of water wine and let it ferment to dry. I blended this gallon with my sassafras wine to cut back on the sweetness. I flavored the water wine with a teaspoon of vanilla extract and a tablespoon of sasspirilla extract. This cut the sweetness of the wine without diluting the flavor. It's pretty good now. I'll see when it's about a year old.

Has anyone tried to use this Sassafras concentrate? If so, how did it work for you? Wondering if I should use real roots or try this.

image-1141492931.jpg

The 1st batch of this one didn't turn out so well. The flavor and the alchol are a little too far apart for me. This wine is meant to be drank young, so I doubt it will get much better. I'll run with 2nd batch the next time around. Everyone loved it during the holidays.

Back