Making Sassafras Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericonthehill

Reaction score
I'm a newbie but loving wine making so far! I have 6 gal. of Mulberry wine in the carboy now. And all signs show that it should be pretty good. I have plenty of sassafras root which I usually make Tea with, so I figured I'd give the wine a try.

I'm using Jack Keller's recipe, with one exception to this point. I made the tea stronger than most, and stronger than he specifies. I love a strong sassafras flavor. I also added my sugar, all 9 cups to my tea while on the stove. I fished out all the root and pieces and added the suger while at a slow and mild boil. It all disolved fine.

That's where I'm at now with it. Getting ready to go clean my primary buckets now. I'll give updates as I go and try to be specific for those that are interested in trying to make a batch as well.

Anyone who has made a batch, any tips? How did it turn out??

I have my must sitting now. I added a little more sugar to get the SG up to 1.080. Over shot a bit and it's at 1.082, so that'll work. As I'm wanting to get it up over 10% atleast. But not too strong. Will it hurt if I throw a chunk of root into the must? I'd like an even stronger flavor I think. . Or will the root absorb my needed ingredients?

The must has a stronger smell to it, so I took the chunk of root out. Just pitched my yeast which I picked up tonight, along with a 3 gallon Carboy, 2 cases of bottles and other necessities from Brew and Wine supply. That makes 3 trips in a week for me!! Before I forget, the sg was at 1.085 when I pitched, so that works, as I plan on back sweetening when all is done with Corn Sugar.

It's at a very slow ferment right now. Last night there wasn't anything going on, but this morning there is a slight layer forming on top and when listening closely I can hear a few sharp bubbles popping, kinda like a weak 7-up. But can't see any bubbles yet. That's before it's morning stir. Must is at 85 degrees, and room temp is at 76. I really wish I would have picked up an energizer when getting supplies. It should be ok though I think. I've been keeping a journal with this one so I have a complete log to refer to when I need it down the road.

Primary is still going slow, it's moving along, but slowly. No drop in the SG as of yet, but I can see a difference in activity. AN energizer would be nice but I don't have it. I think from here on out I'll be using a yeast starter, and see if that makes a dent in these slow starts I've been having.

I ended up adding a little more sugar last night as it seemed to betrying but the Sg hadn't budged. I also added another dose of yeast nutrient to it. It brought the sg up to 1.090. It's going better today and is at 1.086. Not sure if this is normal for this kinda wine, I'm really hoping it picks up the pace before it has a chance to go bad. It has a very strong smell of yeast now so I am optimistic. Making sure I stock up on energizer next time!

Fermenting really slow...it's at 1.082. The yeast seems to be struggling. Because of the holiday weekend I haven't been able to get some energizer. Not sure what to do at this point except stir as usual, and see if it picks up tomorrow. If not, I think I'll be getting another batch going, but i'll get what I need to check the ph this time. From what I understand the ph can tend to be low in this kind of must. What I really need is some more detailed info from others who have made it. All that I can find is referrences back to Jack Kellers page and he nor no one else says anything about how long it should take to ferment in the primary. I'm at day 4 now.

Any suggestions? SG is at 1.076 at the beggining of day 5 of primary...I have more root, so I'm thinking about starting over fairly soon.

Well I'm using a Jack Keller starter to try and get my primary going better. I've decided to start another batch as well, so I can compare the two for future reference. This time I'll have a ph test strip to start off with, and I'll be using Mineral and spring water instead of straight tap water. I'll post updates when possible. I know how hard it can be to find detailed info on the more rarely made wines.

Hey, as long as it continues to ferment I would'nt worry a slow ferment might result in better flavor and aroma.

BOB

I've started a 2nd 3 gallon batch now. I added a yeast starter to the 1st one. On my 2nd batch I made a couple of changes, I used good water, and I did not add acid blend to this point. I want to check my ph before introducing acid blend to it. I also made my sassafras tea/infusion stronger than last time, so I can get a strong flavor that I like out of it. I had some great pointers from brew and wine supply and have been keeping a detailed log so I can get a great wine. If at first you don't succeed, try, and try again.

My 1st batch is going good. The yeast has really populated it's self as the must is a orange-yellow color. Fizzing at a steady rate now. 2nd batch is still trying to get started. I'm thinking that fivebk is right, and this kind of wine is just a slow fermenter. I'm unable to check the sg right now, as I dropped it yesterday. Should be in the mail today though. I have covered both primaries with towels since the temp outside dropped last night. 1st batch is warming on it's own, and I have a heating pad set on medium under the 2nd one. Room temp is at 68.

My 1st batch is going good. The yeast has really populated it's self as the must is a orange-yellow color. Fizzing at a steady rate now. 2nd batch is still trying to get started. I'm thinking that fivebk is right, and this kind of wine is just a slow fermenter. I'm unable to check the sg right now, as I dropped it yesterday. Should be in the mail today though. I have covered both primaries with towels since the temp outside dropped last night. 1st batch is warming on it's own, and I have a heating pad set on medium under the 2nd one. Room temp is at 68.

Hydrometers are so fragile, many of us try to keep two of them around. They don't cost much, but they are very valuable to a wine maker. So, buy two!

It looks like this is just going to be a very slow ferment. In 7 days sg has dropped by 27. Everyday it's only dropping 0.004.It's at 1.063 now. But fizzing like crazy.

Man says after mixing amonia and bleach "Honey, does the smoke mean its working???"

the three P's..lol

Just wait, it'll be fine.

Edit: do not at any time mix amonia and bleach!!! bad combo.

At what point should I siphon this wine to the secondary? Jack Keller says when it reaches 1.020. Will this wine spoil if it is in the primary for too long? How long is too long? It's still going pretty steady, and is at 1.059 now. My 2nd batch is still getting going, yeast colony is growing, but not many more signs than a little yeast smell and a slight cap before stirring.

How slow is too slow?

Hey, as long as it continues to ferment I would'nt worry a slow ferment might result in better flavor and aroma.

BOB

When will my must waste? It's at day 10 and is at 1.058. At this rate it will be about 10 more days or more before it hits the 1.020 that the recipe calls for.

I finally added the proper amount of energizer. I added a 1/2 teaspoon before, but yesterday I added the last of the dose called for. SG is at 1.044 this morning. Which is a big difference! Must is really giving off some heat now, and fizzing and rolling pretty good. 2nd Batch is still trying to get going, yeast colony looks to be building up at the same rate as the 1st batch. Going to let it get going at a steady rate before I think about possibly adding energizer to it too.

ENERGIZE!

teleportation.jpg

Yeast nutrient makes a big diff!!! Here we go!!! :D

Latest posts

Back