Catnip Wine - I'm going for it!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@BigDaveK I have just acquired some catnip plants, so now I am interested in details. How much catnip did you use per gallon? Was it fresh or dried? Did you use the leaves only, or the flowers, or both? I look forward to trying this next year!

Do your cats eat or roll in the catnip you are growing? I wonder if I need to protect the plants when I transplant them outside.

First, I have to admit I partially made this as a joke because everyone knows I have/love cats. I didn't expect it to be so good, though. From a 1 gallon batch I only have 2 bottles left!

Cats and catnip is an odd relationship - some go crazy and some ignore it. As a precaution mine is grown in an enclosed area.

I dry my catnip, harvesting often. I know some herbs become bitter after they flower so all my harvesting was done before that just in case. In other words, I didn't use flowers.

Quantity was the big question. I looked at how much I would use for a cup of tea and then scaled it up to a gallon, added a bit more, and crossed my fingers. I wound up using 8 tablespoons of dried.

I think you'll like the wine. PLUS, people will think you're crazy. The looks are priceless!😅

Oh, and yes I'll be making it again.

Basic herb wine recipe.

Checked my notes - I used 12 Tbls dried and 1/2 cup pressed fresh, 120 gr raisins, I used citric acid to about 3.50, and sugar to about 1.088.

I made a tea with the catnip, hot water, steep overnight, strain, add everything else the next day. I used 1118 and was happy with the result.

BTW, the chemical that drives cats crazy is "nepetalactone" and fermenting doesn't affect it - my cats are attracted to the wine! 😄

And I hang my head in shame - sorry, haven't done mead yet.

Latest posts

Back