Making multiple kits at a time

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikefrommichigan

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have decided to start making larger batches of wine soon, and I am quite happy using kits as they are convenient. I intend fermenting them together in 1 20 gallon fermenting bucket. If I make 4 kits (24 gallons) at a time, do I use all of the included packets in each kit such as:
bentonite, yeast, metabisulphite, sorbate, grape skins etc?

Thanks
Mike

I think it should scale. Two kits at once in same bucket would require twice of everything - just a gut feel.
So you plan on making the same wine I assume and shouldn't you need more than 20 gal for primary for 4 kits?

I find it easier to stagger kits when I ramp up production, i.e. start one kits every week end until I run out carboy.

I am with Frenchy on this one too. I think your biggest batch in a 20 gal would be 3 (18 gal at full volume) and that might be pushing it for an active ferment. you might have a bit of a mess.

I've got a 15 Gal fermenter and i'm gonna only do 2 kits at a time.

Hi Frenchy, Francois.
My arithmetic must have been failing me, because as you noted 3 x 6 gall is 18, only leaving approx 2 gall headspace. I have several 20 gall fermenters so I will do 12 gall in each spread over several weeks. Thanks

What you gonna double up on?

Mike,

What varietals are you thinking about doubling up on? I've been thinking maybe the mainstays like Cabernet and Merlot, (with skins) and I'm a Sauv Blanc junkie so those too.

How about you?

Francois,

The Chilean Malbec I made was great so that will be 1 of them. In another post I am looking for feed back on a Winexpert Shiraz, so that may be # 2.
Unfortunately I only started making wine approx 12 months ago, and there are so many great varieties that it is sometimes hard to decide.

Back