Making Labels

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatyDinkle

Reaction score
Talk to me about your labels...

Do you design them on your computer or use predesigned?

Do you print them at home? If so, on what type of adhesive paper?

Are there alternatives to traditional labels? For example, is it strange to tie a label around the bottle neck rather than using an adhesive label?

Do you bother labeling wine you are keeping for yourself? Or, how do you quickly label bottles you know you are keeping for yourself?

What information do you include on your labels?

Do you have a name for your "vineyard" or do you use something unique on each batch of wine?

Any tricks of the trade?

A newbie thanks you...

Wine name/ type start date, abv. Microsoft word, 12 to a sheet of regular paper, cut them out into 1 inch by 3 inch squares, adhere with milk with a paint brush.

I know, I'm an over achiever!

Last edited:
I'm new too and parsing the same questions. I think I have settled on "Nameofmystreet" Cellars 'cause I sure am not a winery! for fun I will probably try to incorporate family members and friends names as in "mick's Merlot" if that isn't too cheesy or the style or varietal. Going to the wine store is inspirational.

As for labels I have done a trial run with Avery labels and parchment in my work's laser printer. Both look great. I'll probably save the parchment for better quality reds. My first kit was a 10 L kit and I'm guessing the quality won't be great so I doubt I'll label it up. I have read that many of the old hands around here often use tiny printer or hand labels for the wine they will consume. I plan to do a mix of magnums and odd bottles for myself and probably a case or so of nice labels and shrink caps from each batch for gifts and to take to dinners.

It's a lot of work I am finding as I delabeled bottles last weekend, but keeps me out of trouble down in the basement!

I design my own labels (check my sig). It one of the fun parts of winemaking for me.

I use a pregummed paper. Cheap and comes in colors, too.

Are there alternatives to traditional labels? For example, is it strange to tie a label around the bottle neck rather than using an adhesive label?

Who says you have to stick with tradtion? Go for it!

Do you bother labeling wine you are keeping for yourself? Or, how do you quickly label bottles you know you are keeping for yourself?

No. When I bottle a batch of wine, I will make a label and stick some on a few bottles to use for "decorations" in my various wine racks around the house. I label a few more for quick hand-outs to people who come by. Any I & the wife drink at home do not get labelled. That would be a waste.

Wine name, place I made it, grape variety (kits), year, sometimes ABV, and usually a few words about the wine and it's inspiration.

Do you have a name for your "vineyard" or do you use something unique on each batch of wine?

I put the "vineyard" on the label (Weeping Willow Wines) with a unique name for each batch.

Any tricks of the trade?

The pregummed labels float off real easy in warm water.

I generally use MS Publisher. I did buy the Classic Studio Label software but you have to buy their label paper.

I print mine with a color lazer printer so the ink does not bleed. I used to get them printed at Staples till a friend got a printer. I apply my labels with a glue stick (Elmers glue sticks suck btw).

Be careful about Avery labels because they may be hard to remove once stuck to the bottle. The guy who owns my local homebrew shop gets these special easy to remove labels from the local office supply company but I'm not sure who makes them. I don't use them because my labels come in different sizes.

You can design bottle tags that go around the neck of the bottle. One other option is a piece of masking tape. I have a buddy who does that.

I label everything plus I add shrink wraps. The shrink wraps are great for identifing wine when the label has fallen off.

I often use my home photos for my labels. If a wines characteristics inspire me I may get a picture from Google images. For example I recently bottled a nebbliolo. I was without a doubt the darkest red wine I have ever made, almost black in color, so I called it Black Bear Red.

I put the name of my cellar, where I am located, and the vintage. I try not to get complicated with bottle volume and alcohol content that can detract from the picture.

Lastly, making labels can be a lot of fun. They make great converstion pieces when you share your wine. I know for a fact, that when we have our monthly wine meetings, that wines with labels get drank up first. Perhaps people are more comfortable drinking from labeled bottles. It also makes it nice to know WHO made the wine if you know that a certain person is a little less "sanitary" when they make their wine.

Last edited:

I use Word to design mine. Already there, costs no extra, and it has what I need. On my labels, I use a different photo taken from my farm on each variety of wine.

Yes, I print them out on regular paper and affix them to the bottle with milk. Easy to wash off when done with the bottle, just run water over it when rinsing bottle out and off it comes.

No, that would be fine. I have seen printed ribbons used, too.

I label every bottle I make, unless I run out of labels somehow. To me, it is the finishing touch on the effort.

Name of maker or vineyard name. (Mine's Sweetpea Farms.)
Name of wine
Year bottled. (Some use bottling date.)
Location made. (mine says "Product of Lincoln County, TN.")

See above.

Any tricks of the trade?

The best tip is the milk adhesive tip, IMO. It makes things so very easy and so makes labeling all your bottles less of a created hassle at cleaning time. A good trick would be to make up a bottle jig if you have trouble affixing labels in the same spot each time. There are threads here about that.

A recent labeling day...

rowdyrose002-1.jpg

Last edited:
I use Photoshop but I am slowly learning Gimp since it is free and does all the same stuff.

I print them on a nice color laser printer at the office on Avery labels. In the past I have brought these labels and had them printed at Kinkos. I tried the wet-and-stick gummed paper and I think the labels are superior in every way.

For long term storage of bottles, anything besides something permanently attached to a bottle may come off or deteriorate. You could use a Sharpie to write on the bottle or you could paint something onto it, I suppose. Otherwise may as well put on a label that says "mystery wine".

I label everything, and good thing I do. I also use a Sharpie to write some letters on the top of the capsule too since they are all stored together on their sides in the wine rack. "Black Berry 2011" has "BB11" on the top. "Apfelwein 2010" as "Ap10".

My labels contain: my brand (Snowflake, with a logo), the type of wine, an artsy graphic, the month and year of bottling, my lot number (corresponds to my winemaking log book), and the ABV %.

"Any tricks of the trade?" Get someone else to put the labels on for you. I know it is sad to say... I've been at this for just over 2 years and I have produced about 350 bottles of wine. I have corked 2 of those. I put the label on 1 of them. I shrunk the capsule on 1 of them. I filled about half of them. When it comes time to bottle, I always have help. And it only costs me a few bottles of wine, which I would give away regardless to those same dear friends who come to help.

I design my own using Photoshop and the Avery website for the printer layout.

I print mine on Avery labels 8164 using an ink jet printer. Then give them a couple coats of spray polyurethane to keep the colour from bleeding out when they get wet.

It's your wine. Just as long as you can identify it.

I label all but 1 bottle.

Name of the Cellar or Vineyard
Type of wine
Year bottled.
Bottle size

I don't have a vineyard, just the cellar (basement). We call ours "Edge of the Wild" since we live in the city and back on to a Wildlife preserve

Any tricks of the trade?

Soak the bottles to help remove old lables

Great information. Thanks so much. I'm going to try the milk adhesive. First lable attached (we're teachers and giving wine to co-workers for summer break).

label.JPG

Last edited:
Talk to me about your labels...

I use original artwork that my daughter painted as a child and college student. I scan her art then manipulate it on my computer using Photoshop Elements.

I then upload the art to www.myownlabels.com. It's expensive (about $1.00 each) but my wine is worth it. hahaha

I label and capsule every bottle weather it's for personal consumption or gift. I used to only label wine I give away but I soon got tired of last minute messing with capsules and labels so now every bottle gets the full treatment.

I then add a hang tag that I had printed that says to the effect "enjoy this home made wine, consider waiting a year from the date on the bottle to open it."

Every label has my "brand name" Addinette Tortorici and any varietal or specific wine name such as Amarone. I list all grape varieties if it's a blend and add date pitched and date bottled. I also add my signature ad majorem Dei gloriam.

addinette rubio 2012.jpg

Last edited:
I love all the labels I see here and I look at all of them. I don't have time or energy because I work a lot of hours. So I use masking tape and add another piece at every step. I write what and the date that I did. I ship a lot of out state to family and only put what it is on the masking tape, like raspberry, peach, blueberry. The recipients KNOW what it is.
You folks are so creative!

Great information. Thanks so much. I'm going to try the milk adhesive. First lable attached (we're teachers and giving wine to co-workers for summer break).

I like your label very, very much! It is whimsical and funny! When I use the milk, I just brush it on lightly and immediately affix the label to the bottle, then work the bubbles out center to edges, then let it sit and dry well. It flattens out well as it dries. I use Harbor Freight disposable artists brushes for the milk - a whole bag is like $2, and you can wash the brush and reuse. Very little milk will go a very long way.

After the first few I got into the hang of it, and I can really put them on pretty quick now. Assembly line fashion. Like I said, the best part comes when the wine is gone and you rinse out the bottle. A little warm water over the label and off it comes.

I have never seen a bad label design posted on this site. They are all very creative.

Back