MAKING COUNTRY WINES

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waldo

Reaction score
An interesting excerptI read early this morning from a small winery in Florida making country wines.

Gladys and Vince Shook, of the family-owned Florida Orange Groves Winery, don't even attempt to impress the non-believers. At their St. Petersburg winery, they're too busy selling their wines. They make their wines from, among other fruits and veggies, grapefruit, oranges, tangerines, raspberries, strawberries, cranberries, blackberries and blueberries. There's even 40 Karats, made from, yep, carrots. Gladys Shook says people first stop in "because they think, "oh, whoever heard tell of wine made out of this?' Their curiosity gets them, and they come in, and they sample at the bar, and they say, "wow, we didn't know you could make wine out of this.' They're so surprised." Two years ago, a panel of judges conducting a blind taste test at the International Wine competition, mistook Black Gold, the dry blackberry wine, for a $60 bottle of cabernet. "And they thought our 40 Karats -- which by the way is made 100 percent from Florida carrots -- wine was the most expensive chardonnay that they made," she says. "They (the judges) were amazed. It's just that if they don't know what they're drinking, they are more impartial."
It was during a tour in Napa Valley, she and her husband got tired of hearing how wine is an acquired taste.
"Usually, if you take that little tour around Napa Valley, they say "this is an acquired taste,' or "this you have to learn to like,'" says Gladys Shook. "When we heard that, we thought, that shouldn't be. When you taste a wine, you should like it right away, that you don't have to have an acquired taste or learn to like it. It's either good or it isn't good."
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
Edited by: Waldo

Nice read. I guess it shows one of two things. Either their wine is very very good or those wine judges were very very poor.
smiley36.gif
I found that surprising. I have had some very good blackberry wine but never found it reminiscent of a Cabernet. I can't remember if I have had a dry blackberry though. I imagine fermented to dry and oaked it would be reminiscent. Look at elderberry. I could see a good elderberry being confused.

I have always heard that carrot wine was very good. Wonder if they use an average recipe or if it is a suer secret recipe? I guess I need to see where this winery is located and if around the panhandle drop in for a visit on our next trip to the beach. I think it is around Tampa though, thats a bit far past Pensacola, Destin or Panama City Beach where we go to.

Thanks for the article Waldo! I want to know when I am going to stumble across an article like thisabout Waldo's Muscadine Wine?
smiley2.gif

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

I guess I thought thats what we are trying to do...To make a nice , enjoyable wine to drink...At least that is my goal and to have fun doing it..
smiley4.gif

That sounds like a nice place to go tasting! These are the places I
really appreciate. More of us home folk and not the snobbish people who
turn their nose up at anything that wasnt fermented from grapes!

Waldo said:
Thanks for the article Waldo! I want to know when I am going to stumble across an article like thisabout Waldo's Muscadine Wine?
smiley2.gif

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

I get too hungry when I read that thread. I had seen it though and remembered it after you posted. Your Muscadine posts are part of my documented research into venturing into the Muscadine Winemaking World.

Smurfe Edited by: smurfe

This is probably one of the most difficult aspects of this job, convincing wine makers to make wine THEY like, not what others like. The commercial wineries have done an excellent job of marketing and creating this "mystique" about wine. At the end of the day, I make what I like.
smiley14.gif

The cooking shows have always said that appearance is half the taste. If it doesn't look good to eat, your mind tells you that it won't be good. So, look what happened when they couldn't see what wine they were drinking. Carrot wine, that would be something I would like to try. I like fresh squeezed juice with an added carrot juice. But, then I'm not a white wine drinker either, I'm a true Red Wino. Maybe I should take the blind taste test?

geocorn said:
This is probably one of the most difficult aspects of this job, convincing wine makers to make wine THEY like, not what others like. The commercial wineries have done an excellent job of marketing and creating this "mystique" about wine. At the end of the day, I make what I like.
smiley14.gif

And EVERYONE said.................AAAAmen!!!!
smiley32.gif

Latest posts

Back