Making Carrot Wine As I Type

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinny

Mildly Amused
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Making a batch of carrot wine ATM. I was hoping to use golden raisins, but could only find sultanas. I picked some up because I thought the lighter colour might work better with carrot. I have Thompson seedless in the pantry as well. Either preferential, does it matter?

I'm not going to add yeast tonight. Practicing my patience...

None of the recipes I have mention starting gravity. I am currently at 1.070, but I have 1 lb of raisins and can't find anything on the potential ABV of the sugar in the raisins. I plan to check SG tomorrow before adding yeast and make a decision from there.

Are the raisins a big consideration, or just leave my target ABV slightly lower than expected?

Aren’t sultanas really Thompson Seedless? Just like Zante currents are Greek or Corinth currents?
Either one will be fine and probably will pump the OG/SG.

Where do you guys all go at night?

I have wondered this for a while. It must have something to do with this hobby...

Are you all making wine right now, too? 😆
I vaguely remember being awake after 11 PM. Gosh, when was that.....?
Yard work all day. I'm asleep by 10. But then my first cup 'o joe is at 5AM.

My choices around here are raisins and organic raisins. No thinking, easy decision. Zante? Sunltana? Is that from Star Trek?

Raisins are around 70% (+/-) sugar by weight if that helps.

Where do you guys all go at night?
I usually waste 2 or 3 hours each night sleeping, when I could be accomplishing things.

An old friend tried an experiment -- he limited himself to 1 hour sleep per night, and bragged about how much he accomplished being awake 23 hours per day. That last 3 or 4 weeks -- he laid down for his 1 hour on a Friday, and woke up Sunday afternoon. Experiment over ...

@vinny I was on the site a lot more in the winter when I couldn’t be out in the garden, or prepping the vineyard, or fishing. Once spring rolled in my online time is limited to nights and at work when I should be, you know, working! You’ll see come July😂
Luckily you have a job, so you have time to get caught up here!

Back