Making an Amarone, Stuck fermentation?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

west_end

Reaction score
I started a batch of Amarone on 12/28 13. It started fermenting quickly and by 1/4/14 the SG was at 1.00. I racked it over to a Carboy where it has been sitting up off the floor with a room temperature of 75º. I just check the SG again and it has not moved. The instruction say to wait until the SG drops to 0.998 before clearing. Do I need to do something to get the fermentation going again or should I just give it more time?

I want this wine to be good and dry

Thanks

Hurry up and wait. Most times it will restart on its own. Just as long as you are not ina hurry that is. I've had them wait a couple of months before restarting. Usualy with a high acid wine. Its like the yeast needed a rest befor finishing! If you are in a hurry try adding some more yeast nutriant or energizer. Desolve it is a sample of the wine befor dumping it in. (1/2tsp maybe, not a lot!)
I have never done a kit, just fresh fruit. Hopefully a kit person will speak up!

your wine is done. the calibration of your hydrometer is temp sensitive so some adjustment has to be made for temp. also the error in the hydrometer reading will place this wine in the done category. do not add any yeast or energizer to this wine it will not restart and these additives will only ruin the wine a this stage. continue with the appropriate instructions from your kit.

What yeast are you using, and what was your starting SG? It is possible that your ABV is now too much for the yeast.

west_end said:
Lalvin EC-1118

That yeast will go to 18-20% abv. If your starting sg was under 1.120 then its not done. Sometimes simply taking out a cup and dumping it back in will restart fementaion. That tiny bit of air or agitaion gives the yeast a breath of fresh air and jumpstarts it.
If you are concerned about adding yeast energizer at this point try this. Take out a quart. Add the energizer to that. See if it will restart. If It does add it back to the big jug. A few days or even a week with extra headspace will not bother the wine in the big jug.
Or just stick with the wait and see.

Good Luck!

forget the numbers, how does the wine taste? If good to great you are done, go forth with aging.
If you are really concerned go with Jensmith and try some in a separate jug. I would go one further keep jug separate and see how much more the wine will really ferment and then taste.

Back