WineXpert Maintaining Fermentation Temp in cool environment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob007

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new here as of 1/1/14. I'm looking forward to learning from this forum.

Here's my question and then the explanation below:

Question: is it normal to maintain the fermentation temp in a cooler environment using just a blanket?

I'm on my second batch of wine. It's an Eclipse Stag's Leap Merlot. The recommended fermentation temp is 70-75 degrees. I have the wine in the fermentation bucket in our studio/garage where the temp is around 63 degrees. I purchased a small space heater and wrapped the bucket in a blanket as the initial temp was around 68 degrees. It came up nicely to 73 degrees and the fermentation process began within 12 hours. I haven't needed to use the space heater because the temp with just the blanket is up to 75. I opened it up for the first time last night, as instructed, and stirred the grape skins around, and then closed it back up. However, when I checked this morning it had risen to 78. (I'm using a thermometer strip on the side of the bucket). So I removed the blanket and will check it throughout the day to see where it settles. The garage is around 66 degrees today.

Question: is it normal to maintain the fermentation temp in a cooler environment using just a blanket?

Thanks,

Bob

63f should make for a nice ferment. It may offset the time table but not by much. Generally once ferment starts, as an exothermic phenomenon, it keeps itself at optimal temp. Some folks around here use supplemental heat just until ferment starts in earnest. The blanket is probably not necessary. Welcome to WMT.

Bill C.

20 dollar brew belt will work just fine. If you have a vigorous fermentation. you should have no problem at all. Cheers

I 2nd the Brew Belt. There will be a couple of days that you won't need any heat assistance as the yeast will provide their own. I use a large thick beach towel to wrap around the primary and carboy for some added insulation.

I just use a heating pad set on low it works great. Just set the bucket right on top of the pad

Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm thinking I should take the blanket off completely. It's still hanging at 78 degrees according to the strip thermometer. Does that sound right? Not sure if that's a normal brew temp. Sure don't want to ruin this. It smells so good in the studio :D

After about 4-5 days into primary fermentation, the temp inside the fermenter will come down. That's when I start up the brew belt, blanket wrap, and timer. Works for me.

Thanks again WAG. I'll need to figure out a way to keep up the temp when I transfer to a carboy on day 7. Read where you shouldn't use a heat band on those.

Bob

You may want to check your SG. with the fermentation temps being in the 78 range, it may have gotten down to 1.000 - 1.010 faster than the 7 days.

cheers

I use brew belt in glass carboys also. Haven't had any problems.

It looks like your wine is moving along just fine. Something worth considering about wine and temperature management is that hot is not always better than cold. Ie if you have a wine with delicate aromatics, too much heat could cause the yeast to drive off those nice aromatics.

Wow, great info. I am a relative newbie only have made four kits so far. I have isolated the dining room opening with sheets and brought the temp in the room up to 72*F and it was great. If I shift over to a heating pad and or the brew belt I wouldn't have to isolate the room. I am getting ready to make two more batches this winter and I think it will be great.

Just be careful to not get too hot(85 and up). 75-79 would be ideal.

Does the fermenting stage temp. affect the taste of the wine from a cool 60+*F to a hi 70's*F or is it a nonfactor?

Just a thanks again for the feedback, and an update. I'm on day 5 of the first 7 days of fermenting. For the past two days the temp has maintained at 73 degrees. I'll transfer to a carboy for secondary fermentation, as per instructions, and use the space heater and blanket to keep the temp around 70 degrees. I think I can maintain this in our garage/studio without additional heating devices. I actually have a heat duct running into the garage, but like keeping it closed because that is where I am storing my wine also. Catch 22 :)

Does the fermenting stage temp. affect the taste of the wine from a cool 60+*F to a hi 70's*F or is it a nonfactor?

Yes, temp matters, different yeast make different flavors at certain temperatures. Also lower tempatures tend to help fruit flavors come forward a lot better than hot temperatures.... a lot of this should be taken into account by the wine maker.

So keeping at the lower end of the temp. scale should help the fruit flavors to develop more fully. I will try that in my next batch/kit.

I'm doing a Sauvignon Blanc right now at 64 degrees. The last one I did at low temps was great.

Latest posts

Back