WineXpert Luna Rossa stuck???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back on topic, thanks everyone for your advice. I was also wondering about my hydrometer accuracy and I'm going to pick up one of those that has an expanded scale around the 1.000 mark for more accuracy.

Yes, the instructions say .998, but my retailer told me it should to .996 (I was asking him about the ABV question). I certainly would like it to at least get below 1.000.

I think there is too much emphasis on hydrometer accuracy - whether the must starts at 1.085 or 1.088 and finishes at 0.998 or .996 or .994 is not really all that important. It probably means a difference of about half a percent in alcohol at the extreme. Even reading at the top or bottom of the meniscus is a .002 difference. What's important is the consistency of how you read your hydrometer and note the changes in the readings and how it relates to the stages of fermentation. I don't think you need to rush out and buy a more accurate measuring stick.
.. Doug

I agree with dugger, if your wine stops at .996 or .994 who cares as long as its right around there, if it stops around 1.008 then Id be worrying if it was a red dry wine.

I agree with dugger, if your wine stops at .996 or .994 who cares as long as its right around there, if it stops around 1.008 then Id be worrying if it was a red dry wine.

I agree, as long as it has actually stopped. I think that many inexperienced wine makers think that once it's below some magic number that it's done. Not necessarily true.

Steve

Very true cp, make sure your wine is stable by checking for 3 consecutive days to make sure your sg isnt dropping at all.

Hey gang - just to confirm what the experts here are saying - here's a copy of my Chat with Linda from Winexpert (read from the bottom up)

Hi Sean,

Yes, I think it is safe to Stabilize the batch now. It will not ferment further.

Cheers,

Linda

To: Winexpert Customer Service

Linda,

At the start, it was 72 degrees and as of my e-mail on 2/21 it was 74 degrees (up till today). I have tested the hydrometer when I purchased it and in room temp tap water, it was 1.000. I do not check it everytime I use it though. I think I paid maybe about $12 for it. It's the triple scale one. Anyway, I took another sample again today and it was at .997. This is after I seriously mixed up the wine with a drill mounted stirrer 2 days ago. I figured that if I stirred up all the lees and any unused yeast, it might ferment just .001 more but to no avail. The readings are constant at .997 for aver a week now. Do you think it's safe to move on to stage 3 and add package 2, 3 and chitosan? Thanks.

Sean

Hello Sean,
Thank you for your contact. What was the temperature of the batch when you
tossed in the yeast right up until today?
Hydrometers are often off calibration. To test it for accuracy float it in 15
d C (60 d F) water it should read 1.000. If it reads 1.004 you will need to
deduct .004 from all future readings. A good finishing hydrometer is $200.00 I
have the $9.00 version as well.

Cheers,
Linda Kazakoff

Customer Service
1622 Kebet Way
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
V3C 5W9
604-941-5588
1-888-424-4888, Ext. 241

To: Winexpert Customer Service

MESSAGE: I bought the Selection Original Series Chardonnay /Semillon 2 months
ago (0312009 0015 UPC = 29181 00189) and have finished step 2 and am waiting for
the SG to hit .996 or less. My 10 days since Step 2 was 2/16/10 and the SG has
been between .998 and .997 since that date (it's now 2/21). I've always had a
brew belt on the secondary fermenter. I'm worried that it might take too long
to get to the .996 or may never reach it. Should I wait another week or so and
then continue with stage 3 or should I just add the remaining 3 packages now and
not worry about the .996 reading? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. And
please spell out any instructions very specifically. I'm a newbie at this!
Thanks!.

Basically what we said in the beginning, Id like to have seen this go lower for you but trying to get it down when its actually so close already is a big waste of time and energy.

Just an update- I checked over the last 6 days in a row and the SG was 1.000 every time I checked. I also checked my hydrometer with bottled water and it reads 1.000.

So I went ahead and de-gassed and added the clarifiers. Now I have a pretty neat delineation where the clear wine is on top and cloudy wine on the bottom. It seems to move down about 3-4 inches every day. Haven't seen that before, but I'm a newbie. I guess after the suggested 8 days the cloud will all be at the bottom and it will be time to rack again.

Latest posts

Back