Low PH and Acidity

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pecka

Reaction score
My 11 gallons of Pinot Noir just finished malolactic fermentation. My PH is 3.4 and my TA is .325%. Since they are both low I am not sure what to do. I checked the acidity twice to make sure i didnt mess anything up. Any thoughts?

What did you use to check acidity?
If there is any Co2 left in the wine, the measurements will be askew.

I suggest taking a sample, heat it a bit in the micro. Let it come to room temp and then shake it until all the Co2 is gone.
I would then use a PH meter for both TA and PH measurements.
Make sure you know your regents are ok and of proper strength.

Acid testing kits and PH strips are both a waste of time.

PH is Right on for Pinot but I have doubt about that TA. How did you test? What did you test with?

PH is Right on for Pinot but I have doubt about that TA. How did you test? What did you test with?

I agree. Your PH looks fine. I do have to ask how you tested your TA because it just doesn't look right.
To raise you TA it's going to lower your PH or vise versa.

Thats it, I just purchased a new acid test kit because the other was old. Sodium hydroxide in the new one is .2N vs .1N for the old one. I would have never figured that out, thanks! I feel better since I started with a PH of 3.2-3.3 range and a TA of around .7%. I am so relieved, I bet when i test the acidity now (correctly), the MLF did exactly what i was hoping for.
Thanks again!

Back