Low acidity in Blackberry must

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNFISHRMAN

Reaction score
Making a 6 gallon batch and added 3tsp of acid blend last night when mixing up the batch. I stirred well last night and then stirred up good again and pulled off some for testing before adding yeast. I keep coming up low on my TA. TA=5.5g/L with a Vinoferm Acidometer and .35% with the L.D. Carlson kit. Color Changes were verified with a PH meter and it was Calibrated. Also, test kits were less than three months old. Should I add some acid Blend??

Per Jack Keller's Website: A Tsp of Acid Blend weighs ~5.1 Grams and 3.9 Grams will raise the acidity of 1 gallon of must 0.1%.

Not sure if the numbers can just be plugged into a calculation since you are working with 6 gallons. Waldo is correct in that tasting the must can be the best way to determine if you needmore acid or not and Jack confirms this on his site when adding a large amount of acid blend.

I haven't tasted it yet. As I am not big wine drinker myself, I am not sure how I would know about the taste in being low or high in acidity. I have only been making wine for 10 months and haven't worried about the Acidity. How does one tell if it is low or high when tasting??? Thanks, Lynn

Try to imagine walking out in your garden about the middle of July and pulling a fresh red tomato from the vine and crunching into it....now imagine going to wal-mart tomorrow and taking a tomato off their rack and crunch into it.....Best comparison i could come up with TN..... Edited by: Waldo

I sort of understand. I am not a big tomato eater

Couldn't help smiling Lynn.
smiley36.gif

Take a medium size sip of your wine and hold it for 5-8 seconds. If you
feel a buzz or tingle along the sides of your tongue, you are sensing the
acid. Too much acid makes your teeth squeak, hope you know what I
mean.

Bill

Back