TA and pH for blackberry must

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

Earldw

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I crushed up some fresh blackberries, squeezed the juice out, then ran TA, pH and Brie level tests. Results were 9.0 g/l acid, 3.3pH and 9% brix. I also tasted the juice and it is tart. If you had this juice to work with, would you add anything to adjust TA or pH? Thanks in advance.

Ohio Bob

Reaction score
The year I had a huge haul of blackberries from my wood line I made 3g of wine and 3g of port. The port I sweetened with chocolate powder to the point it was barely detectable.

My wine is tart, I should have back sweetened it a month or so before bottling. A few glasses with some sweetening might convince you that back sweetening is needed. I did not know back sweetening was a thing until I joined this forum.

My advice, ferment it dry and then sweeten in secondary. Let the final sweetening bulk age a month or so to insure no further fermentation takes place.

Earldw

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would not make any adjustment to the pH. At 3.3 you are at the low end of the pH range most folks like for fruit wines*, but not really that far at all. Making adjustments from where you are at is not that critical.

*[ The typical range folks normally work for is between 3.4 to 3.6]
Thanks Scooter..

Artie66

Junior
Reaction score
I would not make any adjustment to the pH. At 3.3 you are at the low end of the pH range most folks like for fruit wines*, but not really that far at all. Making adjustments from where you are at is not that critical.

*[ The typical range folks normally work for is between 3.4 to 3.6]
Well last year made a few gallons tasted it before bottling not great after a year in bottles would say some of my best like new world Hardy's..

Raptor99

Fruit Wine Alchemist
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would not make any adjustment to the pH. At 3.3 you are at the low end of the pH range most folks like for fruit wines*, but not really that far at all.
I agree. Blackberry wine needs to be on the tart side to taste like blackberries. With my cranberry wine, the initial pH before fermentation was 2.8, so I added Potassium Bicarbonate to bring that up to 3.1.

A Brix of 9 = SG 1.036, which gives a potential ABV of 4.7%. So you definitely need to add some sugar before fermentation. As to how much to add, if you know the Brix/SG and the volume, you can calculate how many grams of sugar to add to bring it up to the desired Brix/SG.

Earldw

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. Blackberry wine needs to be on the tart side to taste like blackberries. With my cranberry wine, the initial pH before fermentation was 2.8, so I added Potassium Bicarbonate to bring that up to 3.1.

A Brix of 9 = SG 1.036, which gives a potential ABV of 4.7%. So you definitely need to add some sugar before fermentation. As to how much to add, if you know the Brix/SG and the volume, you can calculate how many grams of sugar to add to bring it up to the desired Brix/SG.
Wonderful! I spent my whole life in engineering and love to quantify that which I can change.

Latest posts