LOQUATS.....I THINK

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgecaprock

Reaction score
These trees are all over the apartment complex, most are ripe and a yellowish orange. I'm pretty sure they are loquats or Japanese plums.....
2006-03-28_212025_000_0645.JPG

2006-03-28_212122_000_0646.JPG

http://www.defalcos.com/loquat_wine.htm

If anyone knows for sure that they are loquats and has anyone made wine from them let me know.......there sure are lots of them!!! Ramona

Northern Winos said:
I sure don't have a clue as to what they are....Here is a page I Googled...Had some info....

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/loquat.html#Toxici ty

Mostly I am impressed that you already have fruit on trees in your area...
smiley4.gif

One of the few advantages of living in the south. We were picking kumquats a couple months ago as well as other oranges and grapefruit. I have a batch of Kumquat Mead I am going to bottle as soon as the bottles show up (Hopefully today)! After reading the page posted, looks like that might be what they are, although it says they don't produce fruit at low elevations.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif
Edited by: smurfe

You are blessed with many advantages by living in the South....warm winters and early springs are what I ENVY most...guess a winter home in the South is my goal...
smiley1.gif

How wonderful it must be to have fruit on your trees aready...Up here on De-Tundra we have leaves budding, large flocks of Canadian Geese, flocks of Robins are scratching in the mud looking for something to eat, a few Mourning Doves pecking around and the Chipmunks are awake. The roads are displaying roadkills of Skunks and Racoons....The Snow-Birds [folks who go South for the winters] are back with their wonderful tans.....AND....the Daffodils are coming up!!!!so spring 2006 is trying to make it's Debut in the frozen North....Life is GOOD!!!Edited by: Northern Winos

Northern Winos said:
Up here on De-Tundra we have leaves budding, large flocks of Canadian Geese, flocks of Robins are scratching in the mud looking for something to eat, a few Mourning Doves pecking around and the Chipmunks are awake. The roads are displaying roadkills of Skunks and Racoons........Life is GOOD!!!

See, there is a balance..............

We can make wine earlier but look at all the good viddles you northerners get...........
smiley36.gif

Thanks.... jobe05...Good one!!! Road kill has never been on my menu, except for a nice fresh deer that hit our pickup once...
smiley1.gif

The little critters are coming out of hibernation, so they are kind of dopey and have been wandering around on the roads for a few weeks now...so if Road Kill is on your menu, come-on up....
smiley2.gif

Today we had 54*F and I had the roof open on the car...livin' is good on De-Tundra
smiley4.gif
Edited by: Northern Winos

I heard birds today. It was wonderful. 60's tomorrow. I'm gettin' out the bikini.
smiley36.gif
After such a cold winter, it's so wonderful to see the sun for 6 hours in a row!

I actually got out today and ran 2 miles with my workmates in the warm sun (50's). Felt warm to me after 20's and 30's.

Birds around here are "fat" after eating all the worms forced out by so much rain. Some are so big they can barely fly
smiley36.gif
. My youngest (10) has about 20 doz red worms and night crawlers collected off the sidewalks for a fishing trip soon.

"SPRING MIGHT HAVE ACTUALLY COME TOOHIO!"

Ramona-

If you are still unsure of the orgin of these fruits. Take a couple with a branch clipping into your local nursery (Calloways, Wolf, etc.)

They can normally tell you what they are.

Ramona, did you ever get a positive ID on these fruits?

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Latest posts

Back