Looking to make some wine for fall season

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No filter...

I do not have a filter system. Any suggestions in order to remove the sediment? What about using whole spices and not ground? Any additional time to allow for it to drop?

I want to start some now for next winter.

Thanks.

I do not have a filter system. Any suggestions in order to remove the sediment? What about using whole spices and not ground? Any additional time to allow for it to drop?

I want to start some now for next winter.

Thanks.

You don't have to have a filter system. I use an inline filter and have had great results with it. This wine needs several rackings to get all the spices out. I would not suggest whole spices unless you are going to let it stay in the wine for a long time. I would not know how long that would be for the spices to absorb into the wine. I know I will never use cinnamon sticks again, They turned into a sludge at the bottom of the carboy.

You could always make a cinnamon extract instead. When we want to add cinnamon to an apple or pear, we use extract and it works very well. Extract is nice because you can add as much or as little as you want and the effect is immediate--no waiting to see if the sticks you're using are enough, or not, in a carboy.

The interesting thing about trying to get the right amount of flavor from cinnamon or vanilla, is that the alcohol content of the wine isn't high enough to extract the oils. So the result is not as good. We experimented with cinnamon sticks in the carboy--after the wine was bottled, the flavor was good. But as the wine aged a few months, the flavor started going away to almost nothing. But with the extract, the flavor holds up very well in the bottles.

Just started a new batch for next fall/winter. I made it through this winter with 3 bottles left over. Love the smell of the wine fermenting.

Back