Looking to buy a couple kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh and should I still follow the instructions as far as times go? Like for example if it says in the instructions to let it sit for 7 days in the primary should I do that or will it take longer and ill have to let it get to a certain SG? I figure the time to rack will still be the same based on the SG it just may take longer to get there??

Most kits provide a SG range along with a day range but use the SG as the deciding factor. The day guide is simply that, a guide. The manufacturer provides that info so you can have a general idea, if you follow their instructions and do not tweak, as to when your SG will be within the proper target. If you branch out from kits you will rely upon your hydrometer, it will be your best friend next to k-meta.

Wow fifty kits?!! I have one almost done and two on deck ...and that's the only three I have even purchased!! I know I got a ton to learn but stuff like this sticks to me like a sponge . ( I won't lie I have been taking a LOT of notes to start kind of a guide) . I cant express my thanks enough to you ( and everyone ) for taking the time out to give detailed advice. And also as far as how long a kit takes at each stage. I kind of assumed that I would just have to go by the hydrometer because adding would throw off the "day guide" if you will. However I think that was the only question I asked that I was still unsure about yet you still answered . You folks are all great. Thanks for the millionth time lol

I was going to add that if you haven't tried the kit before ,IMO, I would just follow the instructions and if making a 2nd time tweek the little things. You can certainly overkill a wine.

Yea that's a good idea being that I have no idea what the kit tastes like . Makes a lot of sense to try it out first. Good thinkin!

I also just bottled the Nero,and it is really good already. Here was my tweak

I use Alexander Sun Country Concentrate instead of sugar to get the SG up on a full 6 gal batch.

Nero
General Information
Batch ID NERO D'AVOLA/CAB. SAUV
Other ID PakLab
Variety Reserve du chateau
Colour Red
Must Type 7L
Source Ebay
Batch Size 6 gal
Start Date Jan 30, 2013

Measurements
Date Sugar TA pH SO2 Temp.
Jan 30, 2013 1.099
Feb 04, 2013 1.01
Feb 08, 2013 .996

Additions
Date Quantity Addition
Jan 30, 2013 1 tsp peptic enzyme
Jan 30, 2013 1/2 cup med oak plus
Jan 30, 2013 1/2 cup med oak chips
Jan 30, 2013 20 oz zante currents
Jan 30, 2013 46 oz alex sun ctry Burgandy conc

Fermentation
Type Start Date End Date Yeast/Culture
Alcoholic Fermentation Jan 30, 2013 ec-1118

Rackings
Date Note
Feb 04, 2013 racked to secondary 6.5 gal carboy sg 1.01
Feb 08, 2013 Stabilize anf clear to 6.5 gal topping with WE cab Adding 3/8 tsp kmeta SG .096

You might like this site to keep a log of your wine batches

http://www.fermsoft.com/index.html

Well that sounds awesome! That site looks really helpful also thank you. My kits are a bit delayed due to weather but as soon as I get started ill keep you guys posted. Ps , I like that you can keep it as a full 6 gal. Thanks !

You inspired me to order three of these kits yesterday. I plan on making one big 16.5 gallon batch. Just can't beat the price.

I don't use the Paklab stabilizer. I just use 1/4 - 3/8 tsp kmeta

I save the we and paklab stabilizers for SP

That's the way I looked at it . For the price it's def worth the try! Keep me updated

Well I can't lie. I snuck a little test taste out of my Pom zin and I gotta say, it def needs cut to at least 5.5-5 gal instead of six. Good taste but a little watery . It's about 9 days until its supposed to be bottled. Will it change taste with time or no?

Latest posts

Back