Looking for juice in WA state

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spinelli01

Reaction score
It looks like WA state is getting ready to harvest this week or next. I'm new to making wine (and completely clueless), but totally excited about giving it a try. I would like to purchase juice from WA - preferably reds. Any advice?

First off welcom to the forum. We are here to help walk you through the steps. Give George a call at the wine makers toy store or our other sponsor midwest. Either one of them will work with you on what you need to purchase. As far as buy juice I would check you major produce companies and ask them if they get juice or can direct you where to go.

Well, if you live in Washington State, we have some of the best grapes in the world and there are ways to get them from even the best vineyards. I belong to the Boeing Employees Wine Club and we have connections to several of the best but you need to be a current or former Boeing employee. A couple of the brew shops around also will organize grape buys. I think Beer Essentials in Lakewood, WA and The Cellar Homebrew in North Seattle organize group buys. Or you can get on the phone and talk to some of the smaller vineyards directly. The only problem is that it is kind of late. Most grapes were spoken for last spring.

The other issue is equipment. Most people start with wine kits which are a little easier because you don't have to worry about crushing or pressing equipment. You can buy everything at your local brew store (my favorite is Larry's in Kent) but it can be expensive to buy all at once. If I were you, I would pick up a wine kit from Larry and buy the minimum equipment to get your first batch made. This winter make the wine from the kit and try making some pear, or strawberry wine just to get used to how fermentation works. Then next Spring look into pre-ordering some real grapes from the Columbia Valley.
I have 400 lbs of Cab coming from Horse Heaven Hills and 200 lbs of Cab Franc from Rattlesnake Hills that will hopefully be perfectly ripe this week. I can't wait!!

Thanks to both Joedaddy and runningwolf! Great information! I will check out the kits or juice from the brew stores both of you recommended - thank you! A wine kit might be the best way to go!

Joedaddy - Have you heard anything about the BYOB winery on Nickerson in Seattle? I'm also insanely jealous of the grapes arriving from Heaven Hills and Rattlesnake Hills! Good luck with your wine making. I think it will be an interesting year for our grapes in WA!

Grapes are being picked now, some have already finished. Whites are done, The last of CabSauv in prosser are this week , most are already picking or picked. If you drive the Yakima Valley all the way you will find some. Lots of stops. I Got Red Mountain and Horse Heaven this year I alway get some from Mabton at the Vinyard next to where my son is buried. Call the Brew and wine store around, I can always get some that way. They usually get extra for people like you. Most will let you use the crusher and de stemmer. Some will let you use their press. But back to above, if you are new get a kit and get your feet wet. Itr will save you money and give you some good basics
Note: my avatar is the young man I spoke of, His Name was Jordan Micheal Jones and every year at this time I miss him.

Last edited:
I don't know about BYOB but I think that those places are going to be a growing industry. There are a ton of those type of places up in Vancouver BC and it looks like they are spreading down here. It is good to see that BYOB is going to use real grapes instead of just kits. There are winemaking on site places in Kent, Tacoma and Olympia now that are mainly using kit wines. Kit wines are good but the real challenge and pleasure for winemaking for me is the chance to make an "excellent" wine from real grapes.

thanks

Good to know about the Brew store! I can specifically ask about using their crusher and destemmer (once I get to that point). I like seeing places like BYOB pop up in our area. Great consept! I think this is going to be an addiction:) Thanks all for your help and ideas

Well, if you live in Washington State, we have some of the best grapes in the world and there are ways to get them from even the best vineyards. I belong to the Boeing Employees Wine Club and we have connections to several of the best but you need to be a current or former Boeing employee. A couple of the brew shops around also will organize grape buys. I think Beer Essentials in Lakewood, WA and The Cellar Homebrew in North Seattle organize group buys. Or you can get on the phone and talk to some of the smaller vineyards directly. The only problem is that it is kind of late. Most grapes were spoken for last spring.

The other issue is equipment. Most people start with wine kits which are a little easier because you don't have to worry about crushing or pressing equipment. You can buy everything at your local brew store (my favorite is Larry's in Kent) but it can be expensive to buy all at once. If I were you, I would pick up a wine kit from Larry and buy the minimum equipment to get your first batch made. This winter make the wine from the kit and try making some pear, or strawberry wine just to get used to how fermentation works. Then next Spring look into pre-ordering some real grapes from the Columbia Valley.
I have 400 lbs of Cab coming from Horse Heaven Hills and 200 lbs of Cab Franc from Rattlesnake Hills that will hopefully be perfectly ripe this week. I can't wait!!

I am new to wine making but I have gathered a lot of equip. Thank you so much for the tips to buying juice.
Joni

Likewise, welcome to the forum!
Brehm Vineyards has frozen juice in their Portland cold storage unit as well as fruit. As one who has started with kits, I highly recommend this avenue to start. Build up to grapes slowly - it IS a learning process.

Back