Looking for a good source for bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockofNJ

Junior
Reaction score
I have been getting free used bottles from my local winery for a while now.
Whilethe price is right the cleaning and removal of the labels has proven to be a dauntingtask due to the fact that I am trying to stock nearly a 500 bottle wine cellar.Some bottles have red stains that I can't get out so I toss them, all of thelabels leave behind an undesirable residue that has to be removed with onesolvent or another adding to the time and effort of this project.

So I have decided to start using new bottles, now I'm on a quest to find the most cost effective supplier. Can anyone reading this tell me where you getyour bottles and how much are you willing to pay?

I called a local winery and they just sold me brand new cases of bottles for $8.00 each, well worth the price of not having to screw around with used bottles!

Try browsing for wholesale bottles. I found a few online. Just got to look and research for best price...i don't have a local winery...

I know you are asking about new bottles, but a couple tips might make cleaning easier if you want to try the used bottle route again. I have gotten 500 bottles in less than 2 months from one wine store (tastings), and 2 Italian restraunts, though at one of those, the manager is bringing me bottles from 2 other restraunt also.

super hot water, 20-30 mins, and a razor scraper takes off the label. I tried solvents, but found a sos pad/brillo pad takes off all adhesive. Then i simply clean in a bucket of hot easy clean (oxyclean) with a bottle brush attached to a drill. Followed by 4 rinsings and spritzing with sanitizer. After drying, i store upside down in a box lined with paper towels.

I figure, I would do half this work (cleaning, rinsing, sanitizing) even if I was using new bottles.

I posted this on another thread. I get bottles from 2 different wineries. The labels peel right off if you fill them with hot water and wait about 30 minutes. Never any scraping!
Try not to wet the bottle just fill with hot tap water and wait. Both wineries told me this was the fastest way to remove them. And it does work at least with their bottles.

Back