Looks like a good year for Blueberry Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker
Reaction score
Well the blueberries are ripening nicely now. So far about 20 lbs from our two patches BUT only 6-7 bushes of our 30 bushes have really ripe berries yet. Eventually if all these bushes produce like the mature ones are doing... we should be looking at somewhere between 240 and 300 lbs of blueberries per year. Right now I'm looking at using between 18-21 lbs per 3 gallon batch. Of course fresh eating of berries and give-aways to friends has me about 3-6 lbs short of what I need for a batch.

About 5-6 of the bushes are producing berries like those in this picture. That is a quarter there. So yes a sizable number of the berries are about the size of a quarter, or a little bigger.

Yeah there are a couple there that aren't fully ripe. I punish myself when I find those - I eat them ripe or not. Helps me remember to be careful when picking. Grandkids, nephews and nieces don't like that 'rule' but it helps them pay attention - :wy

Finally the payoff begins on the time and effort to plant, cultivate and maintaining these bushes. I must say that blueberries, other than the netting setup/takedown, are the easiest domestic fruit I can find.Blueberries 2019.jpg

Last edited:
doing a good job with your bushes mulch with pine bark as it rots it will be like putting them on steroids also after all the berries are gone cut your bushes back fertilize 3 times each year the bark will keep ph down

yes unclebead we have 6 varietes of high bush 25 acres

Last edited:
Pretty sure all of mine would be considered highbush. I've not done a great job of keeping track of the different varieties. I would guess that out of the 30 I might have no more than two of any one type.

Back