Long time lurker

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benbirby

Junior
Reaction score
Checking in from Baltimore, MD

I'm mainly a fruit/flower wine person and this forum has been very helpful to me over the last few years!

Currently have about 6gal of cherry wine going from July and just started an experimental fig mead....

I also like my dandelion!

Mainly I just like to process whatever's kicking around.

Welcome to WMT!

I also "process whatever's kicking around".

Out of curiosity, what flowers have you used?

I guess I've only done dandelion, although last time I put a bunch of magnolia flowers in for fun...
I have designs on other stuff though, if I can ever get to them-
Elderflower being an obvious choice, and I really want to experiment with locust flower...

Welcome to WMT! Fig Mead? Do tell…!
Welp, I got a ton of fresh figs, but slightly less than I thought would work for 5 gallons, so rather than chance it on a weak wine, I just put honey instead of sugar? Threw in a few raisins.

Really freestyling on that one... we'll see!!

I'm not much of a strict recipe follower but so far never had a big fail...

I guess I've only done dandelion, although last time I put a bunch of magnolia flowers in for fun...
I have designs on other stuff though, if I can ever get to them-
Elderflower being an obvious choice, and I really want to experiment with locust flower...
I did a magnolia wine earlier this year. Noticeable ginger and cardamom flavor. Still in bulk so we'll see.

And I did elderflower for the first time this year. Again, still in bulk.

Two more possible flower wines this year. Just starting to bloom.

I did a magnolia wine earlier this year. Noticeable ginger and cardamom flavor. Still in bulk so we'll see.

And I did elderflower for the first time this year. Again, still in bulk.

Two more possible flower wines this year. Just starting to bloom.
What kind of magnolia flowers did you use? I've heard that the darker pink/purple the flower the stronger the flavor. I used them from a saucer magnolia (pink/white) but I have a giant southern magnolia in front of my house.

What kind of magnolia flowers did you use? I've heard that the darker pink/purple the flower the stronger the flavor. I used them from a saucer magnolia (pink/white) but I have a giant southern magnolia in front of my house.
Unfortunately I only have one magnolia - "Jane". I picked just before or just as they were opening, wanting the freshest flowers possible. You're lucky to have 2 varieties available.

I also pickled and made a simple syrup with the petals. Crazy good! Can't wait till next year!

Welp, I got a ton of fresh figs, but slightly less than I thought would work for 5 gallons, so rather than chance it on a weak wine, I just put honey instead of sugar? Threw in a few raisins.

Really freestyling on that one... we'll see!!

I'm not much of a strict recipe follower but so far never had a big fail...
I’m very interested in how this turns out… keep us posted!

I’m very interested in how this turns out… keep us posted!

Will do!
I went to get some more figs the other day in hopes of making a juice-type syrup to top up the carboy and wound up with a bunch more, so I just made another 1.5 gallon batch, with sugar instead of honey. Has a very different smell- they were a huge kind of fig with greener thicker skin on them and not as overripe...
Has a bit of a vegetal smell to it in primary. Not sure if it'll be good but I like weird wines so I'm gonna stick it out for a while. I have high hopes for the original 5gal batch though! Beautiful pink color and a good figgy smell.

Last edited:
Back