WineXpert Lodi Ranch vs Aussie Cabs?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark

Reaction score
For my second wine (yes, I'm a hooked newbie!), I can't decide between the Lodi Ranch cab (WE Estate, 3108) and the Aussie cab (WE International, 3120).Read good things about both on this forum. I want to give some away this Christmas, which only leaves 3-4 months for aging.The LR says 6 months minimum, the Aussie 3 months. I'm leaning towards the LR since it starts with an extra liter of concentrate, but don't know how important hitting the minimum age is. Any recommendations?

Mark, You should be able to make either and age close to 6 months. You have 8 months until Christmas and it will only take a couple months to make either, sounless you need to wait a long time to start it, you should be fine. Besides, you can tell the giftees that it will improve if they can give it a few months to age before consuming..

Thanks Appleman!

Good point about asking them to wait a bit before consuming - that'll work.(I didn't want to start it until mid-May when I get back from vacation - that's why I figured on 3-4 months for aging...)

Mark,
Both are good kits, in my opinion, and I think you'll be pleased with either one. I've decided over my short time doing this that kits with more concentrate/juice and less water will end up better in the end, but having said that, my first Bourgeron Rouge kit gets rave reviews -- but it also has a year of aging now. You can't go wrong. And, like Rich says, I always give a bottle with the admonition "You can drink it now, and it'll be good -- but if you wait 6 months, or even a year, it'll bebetter!"

It's a great opportunity to explain the wine-making process, and, they may even realize just how much effort you put into it for them!
smiley2.gif

Mark,

I'm with Steve, get both!!

I am a newby too. First kit started 3/4 and have five in the works now.
Can't wait tio start the sixth! Is that addictive behavior?

</font></font>

I depends, if you are like me you love wine but commercial wines make me sick. I have sulfite allergies, so I get hives, eyes swell shut etc. I can take a drink from the first glass and the last from a bottle in a double blind and tell you which came from the bottom. Same thing with nitrites. You can tell if I have had a peice of beef jerky.

For me its not only fun to make the kits but a wise health choice since I know how much went in and can avoid adding more at bottling.

Didn't both kits get a gold? Get both.

Latest posts

Back