Lifting the carboy.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My most recent casualty was an empty carboy - thankfully. Happened while washing it out. Slipped right out of my hands and fell 3 inches, maybe? It was one of the new ones, too. What I wouldn't give for a waist-level utility sink. Alas, I rent.
RIP

I can relate. Only carboy I've broken was done while washing and I don't think it even fell 2 inches. All the glass was in the sink which made cleanup relatively easy. I did however get a very minor cut.

View attachment 57549 The area I use now is not too high. The upper shelf is around an inch too low for the carboy to fit with an airlock. I am going to build another area where the shelf will be close to 40 inches high. I have a lot of spine problems and fusions in my neck. I was thinking about getting one of these.

I have been thinking about getting something like that as well. I also have spine/neck issues too.....waiting for ACDF surgery. Have you bought one yet?

I have been thinking about getting something like that as well. I also have spine/neck issues too.....waiting for ACDF surgery. Have you bought one yet?
Not yet. I will be buying it after the first of next month. I have heard nothing but great things about it. Good luck with your surgery I hope it goes well. I have C4, C5, C6 and C7 fused together. It is no fun but better than it was.

Just be sure that the lifting movement is great enough to move it between the shelves OR... figure out a little ramp to slide the carboys up or down as needed from/to the cart and shelves.

Not yet. I will be buying it after the first of next month. I have heard nothing but great things about it. Good luck with your surgery I hope it goes well. I have C4, C5, C6 and C7 fused together. It is no fun but better than it was.

Nice! I'm going to search for one. Hoping to find one locally here in Canada.
And thanks! My issues are in the same area, but they only mentioned fusing C5-C6. We'll see though lol.

Nice! I'm going to search for one. Hoping to find one locally here in Canada.
And thanks! My issues are in the same area, but they only mentioned fusing C5-C6. We'll see though lol.
If you have trouble finding one local it looks like they will ship to Canada. You can enter your location and it will give you a shipping estimate.
Once you have a fusion done it is hard on the connecting joints. I had C 5&6 done in 2009. Had to have 4&5 done in 2013 and then C6&7 done in 2016.

If you have trouble finding one local it looks like they will ship to Canada. You can enter your location and it will give you a shipping estimate.
Once you have a fusion done it is hard on the connecting joints. I had C 5&6 done in 2009. Had to have 4&5 done in 2013 and then C6&7 done in 2016.

Thanks for the added info! I've noticed that there's some available locally. Hoping there may be some Black Friday deals
And I've heard that fusions stress the vertebrae above and below. Wow though! I'm still trying to process everything as this only began in August. It's been a bit of a whirlwind to say the least. I'm just hoping to improve my quality of life and get off the pain meds.

Sage I thought about doing that. I decided to go with the pump because there is not much price difference and it will also make bottling easier.

Those with dedicated spaces or looking to build dedicated spaces might consider getting restaurant style stainless steel tables etc. Not terribly expensive all things considered and if you set up your place for them you can even include sinks and drain racks in the design. While you can build your own cheaper, maintaining/cleaning is so much easier with a stainless steel surface. All that's needed is some matting to protect the glass from the steel tops.

Here's one source I ran across tonight in a quick look. (Also those bargain hunters might find 'used' equipment at better prices from closed places.)
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/13729/stainless-steel-work-tables-with-undershelf.html

Aw Scooter68, I have enough competition for used junk as it is! Keep everyone shopping at Costco or Sam's Club, they do have some very useful stainless tables and carts. I think the one have from Sam's is 39 inches tall. And I have an ikea stainless countertop (sadly discontinued) at 36 inch, and my great-grandmother's enamel table at 28 inch. Makes things slightly easier when racking or moving carboys between.
So much easier to cleanup with decent surfaces, still eyeing sinks though.

Back