Let fruit/skins in for 24 days; problematic?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlavorSeeker

Junior
Reaction score
On October 19th I started two batches of wine. The first one is a mixed berry from frozen fruit (blueberry, strawberry, blackberry and raspberry). The other is a Winexpert LE 2013 Limited Edition South African Shirz-Cab blend with skins and seeds. I was supposed to pull the straining bags after seven days, but procrastinated and just pulled them today. I stopped expressing liquid from the raspberry bag when I noticed an astringent aroma. Otherwise, all other bags didn't present any off-smells. I plan to let both batches settle over night and rack to my secondaries.

Questions:
1. Have I outright ruined either batch?
2. Is there anything I need to do to deal with any off-flavors/smells I may have inflicted on either batch?

Last edited:
Both taste quite pleasing. The Shiraz-Cab has a much more robust flavor and a great mouth feel and the mixed berry has a wonderful flavor. I'm going to rack to secondary now and continue, as per recipes.

You are probably good to go. Allowing extra time for most things in winemaking will not hurt much. If you wind up with off flavors or smells then there mite be problems, but if they don't keep on you are most likely ok. Winemaking is pretty forgiving and remember patience is the name of the game. Arne.

They might take a little longer to clear, but om my mixed berry I leave ny fruit in for as long as I can. Usually 14 days. It brings out the very robust flavor.

Back