Lessons Learned from the Newbie

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Randy,
Just let that bottle set until it settles. Once settled, smell it and make sure it smells right, then siphon off the clear wine and put it into a smaller container; discard the rest. I do this with all the left over sediment every time I rack my wine. You can save a lot of wine this way. I salvage at least a full 750 ml every time.

Thanks, Robie. I'll do it.

As a newbie, I agree with placing the receiving carboy in a container or have a tray under it. Especially when you first degas. Mine overflowed, but fortunately the floor was tile and easily cleaned.

I also suggest writing down the steps on a separate sheet and double check to see you have it correct. Then follow your written instructions. There will be less chance of a newbie missing a step or doing something in the wrong order.

Finally don't rush!!

As a newbie, I agree with placing the receiving carboy in a container or have a tray under it. Especially when you first degas. Mine overflowed, but fortunately the floor was tile and easily cleaned.

I also suggest writing down the steps on a separate sheet and double check to see you have it correct. Then follow your written instructions. There will be less chance of a newbie missing a step or doing something in the wrong order.

Finally don't rush!!

You got it! :db
It is all a learning process and much of it come by trial and ERROR.

Set your primary bucket in a large Tupperware type pack-all. Primary buckets have been known to leak out the bottom. And don't loan your hydrometry to Julie.:db

Don't put your hydrometer in your cleaning bucket and then throw in your wine thief, measuring spoons, stir paddle, etc... New something was wring when the hydrometer wasn't floating...doh

Check List

This may help, it keeps me on the right track.

WINE MAKING WORK SHEET
BATCH #_________ DATE________
TYPE OF WINE______________________

( )--WASH AND RINSE FRUIT
( )--FREEZE FRUIT
( )--SANITIZE EVERYTHING
( )--ADD WATER TO FRUIT
( )--CAMPDEN TABLETS FOR ONE GALLON BATCHES/
K-META FOR LARGER BATCHES
( )--LET THIS SET FOR 12 HOURS
( )--CHECK PH AND ADJUST IF NECESSARY--APPROX 3.6
( )--ADD BENTONITE
( )--ADD YEAST NUTRIENT
( )--ADD 1/8 TSP TANNIN----SPRINKLE ON MUST
( )--ADD PECTIC ENZYME
( )--CHECK PH AGAIN AND ADJUST IF NECESSARY
( )--ADD SUGAR TO GET SP GR TO 1.080 TO 1.085
( )--LET THIS SET FOR 12 HOURS
( )--CHECK PH AND SP GR AGAIN AND ADJUST
( )--PITCH YEAST
( )--STIR TWICE A DAY AND CHECK SP GR
( )--WHEN SP GR REACHES 1.010 TRANSFER TO CARBOY

hydrometers

buy three more hydrometers! label your carboys they arent all the same. saves time when it comes to racking. use sterilised marbles to top up like i learned from wade e. then the differtent size carboys wont matter?

david1:
Have you used a 23L carboy for a a 12L kit and if so how many marbles would it take to make the difference?

Don't unknowingly put pressure on your concentrate bag while trying to take off the cap without proper tools. The effect is something like that of a volcano of syrup and a rush of ants. Especially if there is carpet around.

Back