RJ Spagnols Leftover CO2 Makes for Early Drinking Wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShepherdQ

Pusser Newbie
Reaction score
I know what some of you may say, that improper degassing can lead to off-flavoured wine and corks coming out. On my first ever batch I only degassed for 4 mins, which I was sure wasn't enough, but, being sorely tempted just a week after bottling, I opened one today.

Sure enough there was a bit of a pop, but I think the acidity imparted by the CO2 brings out the flavours of an otherwise green wine. No fizziness, mind you, just more full-bodied than I thought it would be. Bet I couldn't reproduce his if my life depended on it, though.

Thoughts?

what kind of wine was it?
Somebody on here told me that wine goes through stages after bottling. I do not remember the exact quote but something like good, to ok then great.
I would be curious if you could let a bottle sit for a year or so then compare tasting notes?

Commercial wineries often test CO2 levels and adjust prior to bottling. It is amazing how much of an impact an increased CO2 level can have on the palate presence of a wine and the perception of freshness as well. I think home winemakers focus too much on degassing and are unaware of the potential benefits a small amount of dissolved CO2 can have on a wine.

I wondered about that myself. Beyond my skills for now, I think.

Duster, its a cab sauv. It is OK for now, I'll try to leave a couple bottles for a year but it'll be tough!

Latest posts

Back