Least favorite part of winter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my home area of New York:

snowfall.png

In high school, friends in West Leyden laughed about ducking the power lines when going to the barn in the morning. No, they weren't kidding, the accumulated snow was that deep.

Yep, not gonna have toomuch snow, but below zero for the next couple of days. The good thing is the days are going to start getting longer. Come on summer. LOL, Arne.

Weather is weather and I'm just thankful I have another day to complain about it...whatever it is.

My least favorite part of winter, though, is more practical. I have 5 litter boxes which are actually 20x30 mixing trays for concrete or mortar. (That's probably a clue that I have more than 1 cat.) I use wood pellets - like the kind for pellet stoves - and then I put them on the compost pile. (Boatload of nitrogen!) As long as the temps are at least in the 40's I can scrub the trays outside and dry them in the sun. Won't be doing that for a while.

47 F now and rain and it might be -4 F in the morning. Swell.

Weather is weather and I'm just thankful I have another day to complain about it...whatever it is.

My least favorite part of winter, though, is more practical. I have 5 litter boxes which are actually 20x30 mixing trays for concrete or mortar. (That's probably a clue that I have more than 1 cat.) I use wood pellets - like the kind for pellet stoves - and then I put them on the compost pile. (Boatload of nitrogen!) As long as the temps are at least in the 40's I can scrub the trays outside and dry them in the sun. Won't be doing that for a while.

47 F now and rain and it might be -4 F in the morning. Swell.
It builds character? 😄

It builds character? 😄
Yes, it does.
We had -5 F, -27 wind chill, no power for 20 hours, back on late last night. A PITA but that's about it.
15 years ago when I moved to the country I learned within a couple months you MUST have a generator. My generator isn't big enough for the hot water heater or well pump but everything else was pretty much the same. Just like camping in the arctic.

Yes, a generator is important in the winter so I have two just in case.

I have 4 :rolleyes:. When I get it in my head that something is good to have.

Ohh, that's a good price, and a back up is good to have.. I'm actually thinking it's time to declutter some things. Maybe this spring.
Four is a reasonable quantity for an important device. "Two is one, and one is none" like they say. Besides, I can't count the number of times I've put away a working piece of equipment only to find I need to replace parts to get it going again. How does that happen? I can only conclude there are dark and mysterious forces in the Universe that enjoy practical jokes.

Yes, I am visiting in-laws. The power was out for about 15 hours. I spent many hours trying to get the genny running, and did not succeed before the power came back on. :( But I am thilled the power came back one! :)
Glad you are back into the world of modern amenities.

It's likely a dirty carb. Stuck floats or dirty jets. You can tell your hosts it is always a good idea to drain the float bowl of gas after use. Gennies and pressure washers especially, but a good idea with anything that can sit long periods between uses.

I had a generac installed this year it automatically cuts in when we lose power. Hooked up to our 1000 gallon propane tank. No worries now. Automatically starts every Monday and sends a status report to our installation company.

Glad you are back into the world of modern amenities.

Well, after I wrote that, the power went out again for another half-day. Came back on in the middle of the night, though, so we are grateful.

It's likely a dirty carb. Stuck floats or dirty jets. You can tell your hosts it is always a good idea to drain the float bowl of gas after use. Gennies and pressure washers especially, but a good idea with anything that can sit long periods between uses.

I agree. My hosts are aware, but there are, uhhhhh, other "circumstances" going on that I won't elaborate on.

I had a generac installed this year it automatically cuts in when we lose power. Hooked up to our 1000 gallon propane tank. No worries now. Automatically starts every Monday and sends a status report to our installation company.

My in-laws (not the ones I am staying with) have a similar arrangement. And the owner is an expert mechanic/technician. However, the 50 mph winds blew snow into the air intake overnight, and the battery kept trying to restart it, until the battery failed. My MIL is on oxygen 24/7, so this was not a trivial matter. Switched her to an O2 bottle. The tech came out at 1 AM (!) to troubleshoot and fix the unit.

Phew!

And there's nothing wrong with 100 degree summers. The older I get, the more I like the heat.
Not for me. I like working and spending most of my time outside. I hate hot humid weather and can’t imagine that ever changing. Hot and dry is a little better but still not ideal. My perfect temperature regime would be 40 at night and 60 during the day. In other words… November

Not for me. I like working and spending most of my time outside. I hate hot humid weather and can’t imagine that ever changing. Hot and dry is a little better but still not ideal. My perfect temperature regime would be 40 at night and 60 during the day. In other words… November

Different strokes. I did my time up North, man. Never... EVER... again. I farm, so that's mostly outside work. Nothing like a nice shade tree in 95 degrees with a cooler of beer after a morning's work. What it works out as is that winter is the time for most Northerners to hibernate and summer is the time when most Southerners hibernate. I'm outside every day of every season.

Back