Learned something by accident

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agdodge4x4

Reaction score
I started a new batch of wine, and I usually make a starter solution with warm water, the yeast and some juice. So I activated my yeast and threw a campden tablet in the juice before I realized I needed to put it in the yeast to let them get going.

I poured it in anyway. I was using Montrachet Yeast and they didnt seem to even notice the Campden tablet that was placed in the juice about 1 minute earlier.

I thought Campden was used to kill off wine yeast and make it hard for other yeasts to grow.....

I think it kills wild yeast and bacteria.

That method may work, but is not recommended.

hehe...it wasnt done on purpose.

It was by accident. I normally would put the raw juice in the yeast starter and then add Campden to the bulk of the batch.

hehe...it wasnt done on purpose.

It was by accident. I normally would put the raw juice in the yeast starter and then add Campden to the bulk of the batch.

Oh, I thought you're suppose to put the campden in, wait 24 hours, then add the yeast?

Oh, I thought you're suppose to put the campden in, wait 24 hours, then add the yeast?
Yes you are correct. once adding the campden just llay the lid on top so it can flash off. Wait 24 hrs and add yeast. It only takes 15 min for the yeast to rehyprate so wait on starting the yeast till then.

The commercial yeast we use is more tolerant of sulfite but you should allow at least 12 hours prefer 24 hours between sulfite then yeast.

My point was that I was surprised that my yeast colony started fermenting with juice that had a fresh campden tablet dissolved in it.

I usually take 1/2 cup of juice out BEFORE i add teh campden tablet, so that I can add some raw juice to my yeast starter. But, I forgot this time and put the campden in the whole bulk of juice and then used a cup of that to start the yeast going....

My point was that I was surprised that my yeast colony started fermenting with juice that had a fresh campden tablet dissolved in it.

I usually take 1/2 cup of juice out BEFORE i add teh campden tablet, so that I can add some raw juice to my yeast starter. But, I forgot this time and put the campden in the whole bulk of juice and then used a cup of that to start the yeast going....

That's weird that it worked.

Cultured yeast can survive up to 40 and even 50 ppm of SO2.

Recomendation: Ditch the Montrochet yeast. Try a better strain and you might see a marked improvement in your wine. For reds, a better strain would be the lalvin RC212.

The cultured yeast is incredibly tolerant to what bacteria can not survive in. It just makes winemaking that much easier.

Latest posts

Back