Leaky Airlock

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MDPLS

Junior
Reaction score
Does anyone else have this issue? I use both glass and better bottles when racking, but I have noticed that when using the better bottle with the #10 universal stopper, that when I go to take the stopper out, some of the water inside of the airlock "leaks" into the carboy. Does anyone have any ideas on how to stop this? I normally use the three piece plastic airlocks and not the bent looking ones.

How much are putting in the airlock? If you have too much in there - change in the air pressure can cause this.

That is why i use vodka - plain ole water can be stagnate or contaminated with bacteria. Or you could use a k-meta solution.

Twist the air lock out first, then the stopper. The bottle is flexible enough that when you lift up on the stopper, the whole neck stretches before the stopper comes up, thus creating a vacuum.

Might try pushing down on the BB neck before pulling on the stopper. Might work.

Twist the air lock out first, then the stopper. The bottle is flexible enough that when you lift up on the stopper, the whole neck stretches before the stopper comes up, thus creating a vacuum.

Might try pushing down on the BB neck before pulling on the stopper. Might work.

Ahh - I didn't catch the better bottle statement in the first post. Robie is right on that.

Latest posts

Back