Stoppers

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky

Chronologically Gifted Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am asking for some input on stoppers and what you all use for 3, 5, 6 ad 6.5 gallon glass carboys and for 1, 1/2 and 3 liter jugs? When stoppering some of the jugs and bottles, I am having a devil of a time. I find that to be safe and comfortable, I have to tape the carboys in some cases because they will just work their way out of the bottle or carboy. I have roughed the sides of the stopper with emery which helps a little but does not solve the problem.

Here is an example of what I have to do to mount #6 stoppers with airlocks on 1 gallon and 3 liter jugs. I appreciate any input.100_2005.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I use Everclear in my airlocks, I take a small plastic cup with a 1/4 cup of Everclear in it. After sanitizing the stopper and airlock, I give the stopper a quick dip to wet the stopper. Pop it in the carboy and they never work back out. Like you I routinely had stoppers back out using just a sanitizing solution.

After finishing I pour the Everclear back into the bottle. I keep one bottle just for filling airlocks.

@Rocky , I’ve been using the soft white vented silicone stoppers for years without any issues. IIRC, they came from MoreWine. They stay inserted very well, just make sure the bung and inside of carboy neck are relatively dry. Push the bung firmly in place with the heel of your hand, the roll your hand to one side to allow the pressure created by insertion to “burp” out of the vent. It should stay there as long as you desire.

Last edited:
I noticed before I left that a number 6 worked its way out of my top up jug from one batch. I changed the stopper, but likely oxygenated the batch. I find number 7's are a much better fit.

Latest posts

Back