leak in my airlock

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Isaiah

Reaction score
Will this be ok for a few days because I cant the right equipment for a few days. I guess next time I should figure to have extra supplies on hand.

Will this be ok for a few days because I cant the right equipment for a few days. I guess next time I should figure to have extra supplies on hand.

Probably will be OK, depends how big of a leak, I would try to seal it as best as possible until you can get a new one.

Its not really a big leak but I just have some tape wrapped around it for now and it doesnt seem like the airlock is moving at all and then to top it all off I dropped my hydrometer on the floor and shattered it to pieces. Let me tell you today has not been a very good day at all for me! Can you believe I would drop that!

I ran out of number 6 bungs and didnt realize it until I transfered to secondary when I looked all I had were i think it was a two #11 bungs and just tried to tape them on the top of the jug

I would make sure that the carboy is as filled as possible (leave only the smallest of voids. This will reduce the amount of "breathing" the carboy does.

I checked this morning and everthing seems to be fine. Airlock is working so im assuming it air tight? The tape must of worked!

in the event of an emergency like that...grab a piece of saran wrap, place over bung hole and secure w a good rubber band

as far as hydrometers go....you need three on hand..w three you rest easy...when you do break one, you dont feel so bad, cause you got two..when you break the second , it hits you that you have in total lost about 16 bucks...that hurts...but you got a spare so you rebel against buying 2...cause you got one and you promise yourself you will be so careful cause your not gonnagive any more money to the hydrometer gods.....you are careful w that last hydrometer..it lasts a while...until you feel comfortable enough that you will never need to buy another...after that thought is when it rolls off your table ...:)

Haha! I plan to put a big order in tomorrow! And if this does happen again I'll be prepared!

Back