WineXpert LE vs Eclipse

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richmke

Reaction score
I am still in the building stock stage, and can either make the 3 LE 2014 reds next year, or a few red Eclipse kits (shiraz, zinfandel - i already have the barolo).

Any thoughts on which will be better? I made the 2012 LE Argentine Malbec, and that was great - unfortunately too great and being sampled before it peaks.

The benefit of Eclipse is that I can make wine that is restocked vs missing out on a great LE kit.

A common dilemna. After 2.5 years, I'm still building my supply, but like you, am tempted by many of the LE kits. Unfortunately, I have some wines that are 2-ish years old now and I'm seeing supplies on those dwindle and I need to re-do them. In my limited experience, I'd say the LE wines are on par or a little better each of the manufacturers' top line. So in WE, you're getting an Eclipse quality kit. With Cellar Craft, it's Showcase quality and with RJS, expect En Primeur. That doesn't solve your dilemna though. I'm finding that a lot of the LE kits are varietals or blends that you don't normally see in stores and I tend to go for those. Something like the "Volcanic Red" from Cellar Craft doesn't interest me since I can make that myself with grapes if I want that blend, there's plenty of wines like that in stores, and there are other kits out there that while not the same, could be very similar. I weigh all those things when deciding what LE kits to do.

My Winery Series Super Tuscan is getting low and I was going to make another early next year. WE is actually doing a LE Super Tuscan, so I'll take a chance and do that one instead. I'm 'killing two birds', as the saying goes by doing a LE, but replacing a wine that is very good and in a style that works in a lot of different settings. You just need to look at what you like to drink, compared to what you don't have in stock. As much as I think we'd all like to, we can't go out and make one of everything right away, so we need to weigh the pros and cons of each kit buying decision and know that it'll take time to get the wide-ranging variety we'd like to have in our cellars.

That's WAY more than you asked. :) Bottom line, the LE kits are high quality. But just because they are high quality doesn't mean you should make them. ;)

Last edited:
One thing to note is that not all of the LE reds will come with grape skins, which can be a major point for some people. Otherwise, I would generally say that if there are LE kits you're interested in, go for them. You may not get to make them again, and the regular line up of kits will always be around (or at least for a while longer than the LE kits).

I am still in the building stock stage, and can either make the 3 LE 2014 reds next year, or a few red Eclipse kits (shiraz, zinfandel - i already have the barolo).

Any thoughts on which will be better? I made the 2012 LE Argentine Malbec, and that was great - unfortunately too great and being sampled before it peaks.

The benefit of Eclipse is that I can make wine that is restocked vs missing out on a great LE kit.

I'd make the Eclipse Barolo and the Shiraz, followed by as many of the LE reds as is practical for you.

Back