2.5 years in 5 gal Oak Barrel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I am following your ideas here in the forum for few years now and have made quite a few wine kits. I thought I would share little of my experience. I like very good, dry red wines and am pretty patient to get the result. All my kits were the 18L with skins and small porto kits. Yesterday, I finally bottled my CC Walla Walla and Eclipse Nebiolo that I conveniently "forgot" in a 5 gal Oak barrels. The Walla Walla came out as one of the best wines I have ever drank. And I do indulge occasionally (rarely) in some pretty expensive wines. I prefer to buy one pretty good bottle than 5 that are just good. So it takes time between the bottles. I am so sorry than CC Walla Walla is no more. I am wondering if there is an alternative to try and copy the result?
The Nebiolo came out great as well, although I can feel that it tells me that it is full of flavor and things going on and can still improve in the bottle if I give it even more time. It is wonderful as it is but it might get even better, I think. I can definitely tell now the difference between keeping a wine in a barrel for few weeks vs couple years. Do you have similar experiences?

Latest posts

Back