WineXpert LE Primitivo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wookey,

I like your idea of adding a bit of tannin to a bottle or two and waiting a few months to see if there is improvement. How much tannin would you add to a bottle?

Earl,

Very little, standard dosage is about 5-6 grams per batch. so for on bottle is 0.15-0.2 gram. I have a small scale with 0.1 gram resolution, but usually just add small amount on the edge of knife.

Wookey

OK, I proceeded with the tannin waited 2 months and tried it. The tannin definitely masked the kit taste and added some body, so it was a good idea. I still have 26 bottles left so might experiment further. It is 20 months, it is better start improving and losing the kit taste now. Anyone else is drinking it now?

Wookey

OK, I proceeded with the tannin waited 2 months and tried it. The tannin definitely masked the kit taste and added some body, so it was a good idea. I still have 26 bottles left so might experiment further. It is 20 months, it is better start improving and losing the kit taste now. Anyone else is drinking it now?

Wookey

I wouldn't assume that adding tannin is going to get rid of kit taste. It may help somewhat, but KT is going to be around for a couple years or more. I, personally find it is gone after about 30 months.

Back