WineXpert LE Gewurtz in the Primary!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trashy

Reaction score
Today is a momentous occasion. We now have......(drum roll please)......

two - count 'em, TWO! - batches of wine in various stages of fermentation! And if we bulk age the Amarone, we're gonna need another carboy.....

smiley19.gif

The Amarone is in secondary fermentation, although I think it may have finished fermentation in the primary. It ain't bubblin'....

20070513_110753_Amarone.jpg

Gewurtz is in the primary, in the bathtub, of course...

20070513_110709_Gewurtztraminer.jpg

The LE Gewurtz is a vigorous fermenter. I racked at 1.030 (due to work and other life activities). I blew through the lock for 2 days straight before I racked off 750ml to another bottle. It's still going - started 4/29.

Just an observation...But is there to much headspace in that carboy? I always go for no more than 2 inches from top...???

Benny, the Amarone is still in secondary fermentation. After 10 days it gets racked and cleared.

trashy said:
And if we bulk age the Amarone, we're gonna need another carboy.....

Remember - buy them in pairs... that way they have an easier time breeding.

- Jim

JimCook said:
trashy said:
And if we bulk age the Amarone, we're gonna need another carboy.....

Remember - buy them in pairs... that way they have an easier time breeding.

- Jim

You're a big help....

LOLEdited by: trashy

While the word 'carboy' comes from the Arabic word qarraba, which means 'big jug,' I think the part that was lost in translation is that the root of the word actually has rodent or rabbit in it, as carboys seem to mutliply much like their furry counterparts.
- Jim

Trashy, go ahead and get that next carboy. You'll never regret it!
smiley36.gif
We have 2 empty right now
smiley3.gif
and I'm hoping to start a wine tonight go solve that problem!

Day 6 - checked SG - it comes in at 1.020, need to wait for 1.010 before racking.

Is it supposed to look like this at this stage? It looks like the elderflowers floated back to the surface...

20070519_140656_IMG_0237.JPG

Elderberries can look pretty nasty at times, especially when they are whole berries and they leave the GREEN GOO. Isn't it amazing how things that looks so bad sometimes can turn out tasting so good.

Looking good Trash, Flowers like saw dust will float to the top. It really makes it a pain in the neck to transfer into carboy.

A large funnel with a good strainer in it helps to lessen that pain somewhat Wade

Latest posts

Back