Layered claering.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goslin

Reaction score
I've made a few batches of wine but have come across something I've never seen before.

After racking and adding campden I noticed three days later that it's clearing well about one third the way down from the top but is still very cloudy the rest of the way down.

Has any one seen this happen before? Is this normal? I'v never seen it happen before.

It's a white wine from welshes frozen concetrate. ABV of around 16, I'm not really sure as I topped it up with some sugar water.

It smells good
smiley1.gif

I'm not sure, but here are my thoughts.... and questions

Did you put a pectic enzyme in it?

Also it sounds normal depending on how long it's been sitting...?

Also did you use any clarifier?

I know a lot of people get really good results by cold fining thier wine to get the temp down. This makes the particles in the wine 'fall' faster and can help remove a little bit of acid from your wine. I would suggest that. I've seen pictures on this forum that show a remarkable difference in just a few days. (time to clear out the fridge
smiley4.gif
)

I just bottled a Mezza Luna Red Kita few weeks ago that did that. It cleared fin in the end, I just marked it every day and watched the layer go down.

Ok Great! Sounds good. Thanks.

Yes I did add pectic enzyme. And no clarifier. I try not to add anthing I don't have to and just let it take it's own time. Heck I've never even used finning agents. I am stiring the lees, well I did onceso farwhich is something I neglected to do on my other batches. But they never stay in the same carboy for more than thirty days until bottling. So maybe stirring the lees is what's making it appear different to me.

Thanks again.

rshosted

I cold finned my last batch and really don't want to have to do that again. I only had the top shelf of my fridge to use. But I do agree it works VERY well so long as the temp is kept close to freezing. and you wouldn't believe the amount of acid it took out of it. I couldn't see it in the carboy but after bottling there was a pile of grit left behind.

I cold finned because I knew I put too much acid in. It's a cool trick that works well when you need it.

Back