last Q thread before I start my first wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dukesbb37

Junior
Reaction score
Ok... ive been reading for almost two months now... what equipment to buy, what wines to try... and im ready to get started. As soon as my stuff comes in I will be trying a very sweet strawberry dessert wine next week. It came reccomended and seems very simple

DESSERT STRAWBERRY WINE (5 Gallons)
25 lbs. Strawberries
¼ Tsp. Sodium Bisulfite
Pectic Enzymes (as directed on package)
5 Tsps. Yeast Nutrient
12 lbs. Sugar (1.100)
1 Pkg. Champagne Yeast

(No Acid Blend or Wine Tannin required)

my question is that ive heard i should leave the strawberries in the straining bag in my primary fermenter for just a day... and ive heard 3-4 days... but that seems too long.

I thought that i cover just the strawberries with water, add the sodium bisulfate and pectic enzymes, and let it sit for a day... then fill up the fermenter to 5 gallons with distilled water and take the strawberry bag out. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance, I will likely have a few more quesitons but im ready to get started... this hobby is addictive, and expensive.

Ok... ive been reading for almost two months now... what equipment to buy, what wines to try... and im ready to get started. As soon as my stuff comes in I will be trying a very sweet strawberry dessert wine next week. It came reccomended and seems very simple

DESSERT STRAWBERRY WINE (5 Gallons)
25 lbs. Strawberries
¼ Tsp. Sodium Bisulfite
Pectic Enzymes (as directed on package)
5 Tsps. Yeast Nutrient
12 lbs. Sugar (1.100)
1 Pkg. Champagne Yeast

(No Acid Blend or Wine Tannin required)

my question is that ive heard i should leave the strawberries in the straining bag in my primary fermenter for just a day... and ive heard 3-4 days... but that seems too long.

I thought that i cover just the strawberries with water, add the sodium bisulfate and pectic enzymes, and let it sit for a day... then fill up the fermenter to 5 gallons with distilled water and take the strawberry bag out. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance, I will likely have a few more quesitons but im ready to get started... this hobby is addictive, and expensive.

Don't add that amount of sugar, add sugar to bring your sg to 1.080 -1.090. If you go higher the alcohol taste will overpower the strawberry taste.

Put the strawberries in a bag and add pour hot water (I usually add sugar with the water) over it to bring your level to a little over 5 g, take into consideration that when you take out the pulp, the must level will drop.

Leave the fruit in for 5 - 7 days, no longer than 7 days. And squeeze the bag daily.

thanks Julie,

If you add the sugar with the water... how do you know how much to put in? i thought you just keep stirring in more until your SG reaches the level you want (1.080- 1.090)

Julie.... why do you say 7 days and no longer is this a strawberry thing cause I've left fruit in up to 14 days and never had any bad effects, of course I always have mine loose. I also gotta agree with Julie(don't pass out Julie) on not using that much sugar with 25 pounds of fruit to much alcohol not enough fruit taste.... if you was using alot more fruit I could see it but not with that amount.

Don't forget to freeze your strawberries first. It will help to extract the juice better.

Starting SG should be 1.085 for a dessert wine - ending ABV will be around 11.5 - 12%.

25 #'s of Strawberries is low - I would go 6 #'s per gallon.

Also consider an f-pac - this will intensify the flavor a lot.

I have never poured hot water on it - I just use normal tap water. Freezing and using pectic have worked fine for me.

Don't forget to freeze your strawberries first. It will help to extract the juice better.

would it be just as good to buy one of those giant bags of frozen strawberries from Costco that people use for smoothies? The stems are already cut off would save some time, might be cheaper...

would it be just as good to buy one of those giant bags of frozen strawberries from Costco that people use for smoothies? The stems are already cut off would save some time, might be cheaper...

I've used the 4# bags of frozen Dole strawberries. 1 bag per gallon. Wine came out VERY good with no fpac.

YTMV

Ok i think im ready now, heres my basic step-by-step thing... i know it will change this is just the guide im planning on following...

-let frozen strawberries sit in fermenter until thawed
-mash strawberries
-fill with just enough water to cover strawberries
-add pectic and 1/4 teaspoon sodium bisulfate
-stir
24 hours later...
-fill primary fermenter to a little over 5 gallons with hot tap water
-add sugar until SG reaches 1.080-1.090
-add yeast and yeast nutrient
-stir and let sit with towel over top of the fermenter
-continue to stir until SG reaches 1.020-ish
When SG reaches 1.020
-rack into carboy under airlock
-add 1/4 teaspoon sodium bisulfate
-add clearing agent?
-wait around 2 months
After 2 months
-rack into bottling bucket
-add 1/4 teaspoon sodium bisulfate
-bottle
-leave bottles on their side (not sure why, just heard i should)

any more suggestions before i start?

Last edited:
I would let it go in the primary until SG gets to about 1.005 - 1.010.

Do not add sulphites at this point - it will just stun the yeast and lead to a stuck fermentation.

Add the sulphites after fermentation is complete. Same applies for the fining agent - post fermentation.

I would let it go in the primary until SG gets to about 1.005 - 1.010.

Do not add sulphites at this point - it will just stun the yeast and lead to a stuck fermentation.

Add the sulphites after fermentation is complete. Same applies for the fining agent - post fermentation.

Oh, i just thought you add it every time you rack...

so the sodium bisulfate goes in only once?

and the clearing agent goes in once i rack my secondary fermenter (carboy) the first time?

Well - you add the k-meta up front prior to fermentation - wait 24 hours before pitching the yeast.

Then you add it in again once fermentation is complete.

Then you add every 3 months. Generally that is when i rack - unless there is no sediment - then i just add the k-meta in and stir it.

How do you know you wont need any acid blend added? CC

Good point - you will need to take an acid reading - but in the past - the strawberries have been high in acid - usually the water addition brings down the TA to around .60.

But to be on the safe side - take a TA reading.

Well - you add the k-meta up front prior to fermentation - wait 24 hours before pitching the yeast.

Then you add it in again once fermentation is complete.

Then you add every 3 months. Generally that is when i rack - unless there is no sediment - then i just add the k-meta in and stir it.

If i'm planning on bottling after about 3 months do i add it before i bottle? Im impatient for my first batch and me and my friends wanna try it around christmas time.

Then you need to learn another technique called fining to help you clear it faster after its done fermenting, but beware, if you rush it and its not ready what is going to happen is that one night you will be sleeping and you will hear a loud pop coming from your closet where you are storing your wine and then a wonderful aroma of strawberries will fill your house, been there done that, one bottle popped right onto the wife, but it still tasted good with bubbles in it.

I would suggest a little reading at http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/ to help you get a better idea of what all is going to be needed to do to this batch.

Crackedcork

Back