Large fermenters and wine transfer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Trying to be forward looking here, and wondered about transferring wine from larger fermenters, like Brutes and 1/4 ton square picking bins. Stainless is usually set-up with spigots for free run and small doors for skin removal. Absent those, are the aforemention fermenters emptied by scooping out the must with a pail and pouring everything into a basket or bladder press?

Second question, how much does all of that oxygen compromise the wine? The Blichmann WineEasy seems to transfer wine pretty much oxygen-free from bottom of the press. Would that be more similar to what is done in a commercial winery? Thanks for any input you may have.

Last edited:
Trying to be forward looking here, and wondered about transferring wine from larger fermenters, like Brutes and 1/4 ton square picking bins. Stainless is usually set-up with spigots for free run and small doors for skin removal. Absent thoset, are the aforemention fermenters emptied by scooping out the must with a pail and pouring everything into a basket or bladder press?

Second question, how much does all of that oxygen compromise the wine? The Blichmann wineeasy seems to transfer wine pretty much oxygen-free from bottom of the press. Would that be more similar to what is done in a commercial winery? Thanks for any input you may have.

Check out this thread for the “gajillion hole pipe”:Racking From Large Fermenter

As far as O2 exposure goes, as long as you’re expeditious, you’ll have no problems with exposure.

OK, impatient me kept googling this and found this website, How We Make Red Wine - Brooklyn Winery. An impeller pump is a simple but elegant solution, and guess if you flood the receiving container with Co2, then you alleviate unnecessary oxygenation. You all probably already know this kind of stuff, but my eyes keep getting wider every time I unearth another nugget like this ;-)

Here's what they say --- "When the alcoholic fermentation is complete, the juice (called “free run”) has to be separated from the solids. This is done by draining the vessel with either an impeller pump attached to a mesh filter submerged in the must..."

Check out this thread for the “gajillion hole pipe”:Racking From Large Fermenter

As far as O2 exposure goes, as long as you’re expeditious, you’ll have no problems with exposure.

Well, as the OP said, that is brilliant! I may have to find a way to get my contract machine shop to make one of those. Once volumes become large enough you could submerge a hose connected to a filter bag on one end and impeller pump on the other for quick transfer. Thanks for that thread, eye opener!

Latest posts

Back