Lalvin K-1 or Equivalent???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swillologist

Reaction score
I had to clean out the freezer to make room for a turkey. I took out some deer meat to make some jerky and also some cranberries. I don't have the yeast that my recipe calls for. ItisLalvin K-1 or equivalent. I don't know what the equivalent would be. I was wondering if someone could help me with this. I have several differentLalvin and Red Star yeasts in the fridge. Thanks! Edited by: swillologist

I think they mean Lalvin- K1V-1116, it's a very common yeast and a strong fermenter. It is also known as Montpellier

Edited by: appleman

Looks like Lalvin 1118 or Red Star Premier Cuvee are the closest. The only thing that I see different is that the 1116 is designed for low nutrient musts. Can You post what wine you are making and the recipe so as we can further help you with yeast selection as a lot of recipes just call for a high tolerance yeast so you dont have problems but sometimes isnt the best yeast for the job.

Here is the recipe I am using.
4 to 4 1/2 # cranberries
1# raisins
2# sugar or SG to 1.085
1 tsp Nutrient Powder
1/2 tsp Pectic Enzyme Powder
1 campden Tablet
1 tsp energizer
Enough water to make one gallon.
I don't know if I have the 1116. I do have the 1118.

1118 will do fine with a cranberry as the flavor is very strong with cranberries and since you have nutrient and energizer listed youll be fine.

Latest posts

Back