Label Making

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roos2er

Junior
Reaction score
Are there any good programs out there for making labels? I have word and publisher and have been playing around with an Avery template but everything I come up with is generic and lame!!!!

What do you folks use?
Is there a good tutorial out there for label design?

I use an Avery template. I use the blank template that is set for whatever size label you will be using.

I have made a few with "lunapic.com" It's just an online photo editor but it allows you to do alot of different customizations to your picture and change the size to suit your needs. If you save it as a high quality JPEG and open it in preview (for windows), you can choose to use the label 4 times per page and maximize your output and minimize waste.

Be sure to check out the different effects if you try it, I made on with my father for a Christmas wine last month.

Here's what I made. I took a picture of a picture from my cell phone and transferred it to my computer to make this. The Christmas ornament effect was one of the options on the website. Took about 20 minutes to design and print, but that all depends on your computer skills.

father and son red.jpg

Has anyone ever used zazzle.com for personalized labels? They seem to have nice designs and good prices.

I have been using Roxio Photo 5 and just started messing with paint.net. Microsoft word has a 4 pane template. I print 4 to a page on parchment and use milk for adhesive.

Labels

I like the Neato.com high gloss removeable two piece wine labels, but I have also used the standard Avery dry removeable labels on the stuff for home consumption.

You can get great graphics by using screen grabs from allposters.com.
Just search for the region your wine juice is from, vineyards, etc..

If you recycle your bottles, you really will save yourself a lot of time and trouble with dry removeable labels.

Last edited:
Most of my kits come with their own labels and if I needed to make labels I would go to

Code:
http://www.bayfieldlabels.com/

and get their program, design the label and do a screen grab and paste into my printer program. The first one I did by using a website grab and pasted in my graphics program.

Hope this helps.

amarone1.jpg

amarone2011.jpg

barolo2011.jpg

Man those look real professional. When you bring out a bottle for your friends blow off some dust and make them think it's been down in the cellar awhile.

Man those look real professional. When you bring out a bottle for your friends blow off some dust and make them think it's been down in the cellar awhile.

LOL Everytime I vacuum my shop I point it towards my wine rack for that very effect!!!! Who says vintage OCTOBER has to look like vintage October :p

That ain't such a bad idea - I just might get me some dust to do that.

I couldn't resist so I've aged the wine by 89 years.

1923amarone.jpg

Last edited:
LOL! I love the date on the label! I have been thinking about labels - I have a BIL who claims he only likes and drinks $100 bottles of wine and I'm thinking what a hoot it would be to create a label that is impressive and "anonymous" and present it to him later this year and make up some crazy story about how rare it is.... and see what he has to say about it.

But, in all seriousness, the creativity in what has been posted as examples is wonderful. However, maybe with subsequent batches as we might just drink the first one too quickly and gift away -- C-

LOL! I love the date on the label! I have been thinking about labels - I have a BIL who claims he only likes and drinks $100 bottles of wine and I'm thinking what a hoot it would be to create a label that is impressive and "anonymous" and present it to him later this year and make up some crazy story about how rare it is.... and see what he has to say about it.

But, in all seriousness, the creativity in what has been posted as examples is wonderful. However, maybe with subsequent batches as we might just drink the first one too quickly and gift away -- C-

Let me make it perfectly clear in case I have misled... Only the text on the above samples are mine - the labels themselves are from templates.

As for your BIL - I'd go for it - make a label and test 'im. Find a good year, find a way to somehow age the label and some dust and spider webs from a basement and voila - what the heck do two bottles and REALLY impress 'im.

Nasty I know, but I'd do anything for a joke and a laugh.

Back