Mosti Mondiale La Bodega - Primary Fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aggie300zx

Junior
Reaction score
I started the La Bodega port kit five days ago. I waited until 24 hours in to add the raisins. I checked the SG today (day 5) and it was at 1.000. The instructions indicate waiting until 1.040-1.050 before racking. How long does this kit usually take to hit the mark for the initial racking? The instructions do not indicate a time range. Thanks!

Did you rack the wine?

You are well below 1.040 - 1.050.

Just being nosy now- what was the starting sg?

Steve

I have not racked the wine yet since the instructions indicated to wait until it reached the SG range of 1.040 - 1.050. I did not capture an initial SG. I realize now I probably should have.

Hi Aggie, i do not know this port kit. However the SG startshigh 1.085+and works its way down. to 1.000 - 0.970 . You missed the bus. It will be Ok . I would rack the wine wait a two days then go on with the istructions for the SG 1.000 or lower. Someone else could help you more if they have the info on this kit.I have never done a kit port.

PS. This is if the SG really is 1.000 and not 1.100

If it is 1.000 then rack it and just follow the instructions as close as you can. The time lines are just a basic guide as yeast is a living thing and follows no rules or words and there are lots of circumstances that will vary this time line like temp. A cooler temp then suggested will slow things down and a hotter temp will speed things up and there are fine lines also as too hot or too cold will either kill the yeast or put them into hibernation.

You just won"t have to worry about the dreaded wine volcano, which is a good thing.

Bodega kits turn out great!!!

It will be fine... these kits are forgiving....

A port kit is down to 1.000 after five days??? I'm wondering about that reading - you might want to double check.

I checked the wine tonight and the SG was at .994 so I racked it into a 3 gallon carboy (with oak chips per the instructions). The next step indicates that after 10-12 days the SG should be .996 or less. Given that my SG was already below that threshold when I racked it tonight should I still wait the 10-12 days or should I wait until I get a consistent SG two consecutive days?

Thanks,
Scott

Well, You want the wood chips to add flavor so I would wait the 10 -12 days. Second thought. I think I would add the sulfite and sorbate, stir it up good one last time and wait a month, then rack per instuctions and bottle. The main thing to me at this point is time with wood chips.

You want to get below the .997 or two days before you add the sulfite and sorbate. You have donethat.As soon as yousulfite and sorbate the wine will start to clear starting from the top.

I don't think it will hurt the port to sit 10 to 12 days with the wood chips right now. It should be CO2 saturated. If the instructions say to wait 10-12 days, that's what I would do, even if the SG is already at 0.994. There are other processes taking place besides yeast converting sugar to alcohol. I'm not knowledgeable enough to explain what the processes are, but I believe this to be true.

I've opted to pick-up with the instructions and let it sit the 10 days. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the help!

I am sure that it will turn out fine.

The key points are:

rack at 1.040 when actively fermenting (helps the yeast by oxidizing- they did good without this step)
add K-meta and sorbate after sg reaches below 1.000 (yeast are done)
given time with wood chips ( more time - more wood taste)
given time to age and drop sediment ( more time- more clear and mature flavor)

The instructions give you the best results to represent your choice ofkit in the given amount of time.

Aggie300zx said:
should I wait until I get a consistent SG two consecutive days?
Patience is the best attribute that a winemaker can have. Given that it is now in a carboy, wait. Thewine will require some time to extract the flavour out of the oak chips. But even without the oak, I would say wait, don't be in a hurry.

Steve

Latest posts

Back