Mosti Mondiale La Bodega Port Started

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi.

I don't post much but follow these threads on a daily basis. I wanted to give you some opinions I received last weekend. I held a wine tasting at my home (about 15 people) and served 80% home made vs. 20% commercial wine. All them wrapped in foil so the source was hidden.

I took all my carboys out for theme and had a 3 gal carboy of fortified La Bodega Port. The wine tasting went quite well and actually my wines were chosen over the commercial wine. I got brave and asked if anyone would like a barrel tasting of the port. I assumed it would be really harsh and not very integrated. IT WAS SO SMOOTH. It was way better than the commercial port I had to compare it to. Everyone who tried it wanted me to bottle it.

I started 6 gals of the La Bodega Port in July/Aug. I broke up the 6 gals into many different variations of Good ($50) Brandy, Apricot Brandy, Vodka, Oak, Chocolate and Orange flavoring.

Even though I will continue to age this batch, it is more than drinkable and I can't imagine it getting any better.

Cheers,

Doug

P.S. I may go start another one since I think I'm going to be getting gift requests....

What kind of chocolate flavoring did you use Doug & how was it?Edited by: Waldo

Hi Waldo,

I "barrel tested" the port that was fortified with the good brandy. The ones with the chocolate or orange are still sitting untouched.

But to answer the other part of your question.. I used the Swiss Chocolate Almond Liquor Quik Extract 20 ml that George sells. I was told to use 1 bottle per gal of port.

Once I decide its been long enough, I'll sample them and give you an update.

-Doug

Waldo:
I have heard there's a winery up in your neck of the woods (Arkansas right?) that makes grape Brandy! I think it's called Post Oak Winery....my professor who makes Sherry told us about it the other weekend. Apparently they'll sell smaller batches...might be worth looking into to.

I am currently making a port and intend to use the Swiss Chocolate Almond extract that I got from George.
It appears that you have already put the chocolate extract in the carboys while aging. Is that correct?

George told me to add it (1 bottle per gallon) at the time of bottling (put it into the bottling bucket and stir it up) right before bottling.

What has everyone else done when adding an extract like this?

My La Bodega is absolutely going nuts. Ive never seen a fermentation this strong in my wine making experience. I had to the airlock on with solution and it blew it all out and this is only a 3 gallon batch in a 7.9 gallon fermenter.

Latest posts

Back