Other la bodega port SG blunder

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryangws

Reaction score
so i started this port today and the first step instructions were quite vauge.

they said to use a 6g fermenter, but didnt say to add any water, nor did it give a starting gravity.

so i measured SG and it was over .122, thought i remembered the SG of a port to be .085 so i added some water.

now i am thinking i may have made a blunder and added water when i wasnt suposto.

what should i do now?
i added the yeast and the bentionite already.

port usually starts out at 1.122. Wines of 11%abv or less start out a 1.085. Port kits from most manufacturers do not use water for rehydration. I'm not sure what you can do at this point. It will still make wine, but it won't be a port anymore.

Ouch, Dean is right. I guess you cold add some sugar or maybe even better some DME to bring back some body and try to get back to the sg you should have had but doing so is going to give you an even bigger volume which you already have anyways so maybe youll be around a 5 gallon volume so youll need a 5 gallon carboy. as this should have been a 3 gallon kit. Next time please ask the question before hand.

i know, i feel dumb for not asking before hand. all the other kits you have to add water, dont remember it saying it being an all juice kit. and i havent done a kit in a few months so was rusty and well i rushed it :( .

imo, the instructions for this kit are sub-par compaird to the others i have done. and being a newby i have difficulty with the little differences in the instructions between kits.

like this one part of the instructions said to put the yeast in before the betonite and didnt list a starting gravity. then it said to open the raisin package and add it, but wait 24 hours before adding it.

i have a 3, 5, 6 gallon carboys so thats not a problem, i added about two pitchers of water, so about a gallon of water.

how much sugar, and what kind should i add?

I would probably go with Light malt extract to bring back the body from diluting it.

thanks, added some sugar.

so the instructions are bad and are missing the part when it says to add the fpack, cant rememer is it after potasium meta or after the clearing (siligel/liquigel) is added?

After adding both k-meta and sorbate but before adding fining agent.

Latest posts

Back