Kiwi Fruit Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gordini

Reaction score
I once tasted a superb sparkling kiwi. Lightly flavoured and a gorgeious light green colour. I have never been able to reproduce it, with my wines always slightly bitter an a dull green/brown -definitely not oxidized.

try and use half the kiwi up front and ferment then use the second half as f- pack...

make sure that you don't have any skins or seeds in fermentation.
I was told it makes the wine bitter.

Vintners harvest makes a Kiwi concentrate

Keep us updated. I have been asked by my circle of taste testers to do a kiwi batch and I have been seriously considering it.

As far as brown is concerned, and bitter, what were your initial acid levels and final acid levels (if you have them)? Citric acid is a great antioxidant used to keep fruit from browning in air.

I agree, keeping the phenolics out of the ferment is the way to go. The pH is always low, around 3.1, but I'm not sure of the total acidity.

PH only tells how strongly ionized the hydrogen is the solution is rather than the total available amount. A pH of 3.1 is pretty acidic, so fits right into the range for my organic process.

I always titrate my musts and record the data so I can learn what works and what does not. I avoid the use of sulfites so I have to experiment on my own to learn the differences and how to produce a good wine without them. My acid numbers are always higher than the traditional process initially by about .25 - .35%.

I am chomping at the bit to start another batch and maybe we can keep notes on this.

My ex, gf, ex-gf, whatever, friend, suggested to try strawberry-kiwi, but I imagine the pink/red mixed with the green will produce a sickly brown. The taste of a strawberry-kiwi wine sounds absolutely amazing though.

I agree about the anti-bacterial effect of a low pH, however, I still add about 30ppm SO2. I like to store my wines with some confidence. However strawberry is problematic as the antho cyanins are very weak and bind up free S02, so I have to add more progressively through finishing. I make a fair bit of strawberry, and I must admit, it is not my favourite fruit. Now rhubarb I find enigmatic. A blend with Kiwi would be interesting.

Back