Kit Wine Taste?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toneill

Reaction score
I've read in this forum about what some call a "Kit Wine" taste. I've only been making wine/kits since February and have about 14 batches (all red, low end to high end) under production. I've sampled a bottle or 3 for an idea what to expect. Most that I've sampled have been lower end kits (all winexpert) such as Australian cab, Valpolacella. I've noticed and my friends, that there is what some call a chemical taste to all of them. My question, is this due to the fact that I've not let them age enough yet? My expectation is that even the lower end kits need at least 6 months aging while the Eclipse products are more like 12-18 months. That being said, will that aging time get rid of that distinct taste which I do not think is related to the actual grape/juice but one of the fining agents?

Thanks for your responses.

Frankly, I don't seem to pick up on the Kit taste like some folks. What I have noticed with my early wines....when I was following the times by the instructions...I get the CO2 taste, kinda of a biting sharp taste...because the wine did not completely degass (my bad and simply not enough time just sitting in the carboy)

Since I started using an extend timeline ( and the AIO pump), that problem has gone away.

The general consensus is that most of that KT will fade in time. Try an eclipse, le or selection international w/skins and taste it at roughly the same age. See if you get the same taste.

All wines will have a 'green' taste at first... Then that fades as all the chemistry winds down over time.

Been doing kits for over three years, both whites and reds and and maybe a dozen different varietals and from three different kit makers, and am thankfully still clueless as to what kit taste is or taste like.

Been doing kits for three years and the hardest part is waiting the aging period. I age in bottle and can confirm that taste improves significantly after one year mark. Some i left for two years got even better. My preference are selection with skins like tempranillo or my favorite super tuscan from rjs.
The formula is to keep doing enough to copenwith consumption while letting a few age

some people can taste the pot sorbate used to stabilize the wine. if possible do not use it on our next kit and see if what you identify as kit taste is not there.

Latest posts

Back