Kit Wine -- No Additives

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomK-B

Reaction score
Has anyone ever made a kit wine and NOT used the bentonite, sorbate and clearing agents? If so, what sort of results did you get?

I have never done it but the purpose of each is, bentonite help remove proteins and thus aids in clearing, sorbate stops yeast from multiplying,( just let wine ferment out should not require it), and clearing agents helps clear the wine. also not required if you have patience wine would normally clear on its own. Most of these additive are supplied to insure the wine is completed, especially for new winemakers.

I have skipped sorbate when I ferment to dry and do not plan to backsweeten.

I have skipped the initial clarifiers and used time.
I have also skipped the clarifiers and just ended up using sparkaloid prior to bottling!

Has anyone ever made a kit wine and NOT used the bentonite, sorbate and clearing agents? If so, what sort of results did you get?
I haven't done it, but here's what I would expect....

no bentonite - possible protein haze - OK for a red, not a good idea for a white

no sorbate - OK if wine not sweetened

no clearing agents - OK if wine is allowed to clear naturally (ie gravity) over several months

Steve

I have skipped bentonite...but actually think is better in aiding of clearing.
I dont use sorbate, backk sweetened are not.
I use super kleer clearing agent

Thanks, folks, I appreciate your response. Very helpful. I've made several kits without the sorbate -- those that I didn't back-sweeten and planned to bulk age for several months. I was wondering if it would make a difference in the taste. Haven't noticed any appreciable difference . . . yet. So, I was wondering if foregoing the bentonite and clearing agents might alter the final taste. I guess it would be more like making a kit using the process of regular grape must.

Back