Kit taste

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrymck

Reaction score
From the start of visiting this web site I have heard of "kit taste". Somehow people have been able to identify a kit wine by the "kit taste"

Well, I think I might have made an id on the term. At least, for my taste buds. For the last 3 wines racked when young I have tasted something that I would describe as "plastic pipe" Much like the racking hose itself. It has been experienced 3 different times so I am calling this "kit taste". It goes away with time and age and it has never been present prior to bottling. If others have experience this I would invite comments. Recently I watched a documentary entitled Som; about the trials and tribulation of becoming a master sommelier, a pretty impossible task. One of the participants had a taste sensation called "tennis ball". He confessed that he had actually tasted tennis balls, after all how can one identify a taste without experience.

In SOMM, the guy actually referred to the taste as "freshly opened tennis ball can"! That is a sensitive pallet. And he was a smoker.

I can smell and taste kit taste in early kits. Candied plastic. Sorbate?

Thank you both for your descriptions. I can remember the smell (which so overwhelmed you that you tasted it) of newly opened tennis balls. We actually used to use that method to determine how old the tennis balls were, and would save the "fresh" ones for our games and practice with the old ones.

Andre was much better at determining the fresher tennis balls than I was. I think that is why he was so much better at the game than me. But I make better wine!

Back