RJ Spagnols Kit Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beth

Junior
Reaction score
Hello Group,
I have the Cranberry Chianti kit in it's 9th day.......and I checked it this morning and it is reading 0.998.......the instructions say it should read that or lower......on approxamently the 14th day........my question is......will it hurt to leave it until the 14th day in the fementer if it is reading 0.998 now.......

The only other kit I have made was the Strawberry White Zinfandel and it came out great but was a different kit and different instructions.......it only stayed in the fermenter for 7 days...........any advice appreciated.....

Beth:
You can leave it for the 14 days. In my experience Orchard Breezin' kits usually drop down to about .995.

Steve

Mike,
I just have the lid sitting on the fermentor.....not snapped on.....with the airlock in place........going by instruction videos on this site......should I snap it on.........would it hurt to go ahead and rack it to a carboy now....and leave it until the 14th day and then add the rest of the ingredients........Beth

ibglowin said:
Just make sure your lid is snapped and your airlock is on.
IMO, not really necessary. Sould be lots of CO2 and SO2 in the wine at this point. Make sure that he primary is covered.

Steve

Beth said:
Mike,
would it hurt to go ahead and rack it to a carboy now....and leave it until the 14th day and then add the rest of the ingredients........Beth
No problem, if that's what you want to do.

Steve

I agree with Cp on this except for the S02 part because I dought you have added any of this stuff at this point.

Wade,
I was wondering where your input was..........I have only added Bentonite and yeast at this point.........I guess that's why I am a little worried.......this kit calls for everything else to go in on the 14th day.....app...Beth

I like to have the lid snapped and airlock on from about 1.2. Having the lid snapped traps the escaping CO2 layer forcing it out through the airlock. Its just a little extra insurance policy to keep O2 out of the system as things start slowing down.

Probably not much of a real concern with an Orchard Breezin' kit.

Dont worry, at this point like Cpfan said your wine is loaded with C02! You can rack over if you want but as long as your lid is down with an airlock your fine for the remainder if you dont have time. Take a reading a few days in arow to make sure it is stable and if so then proceed to next step. never add anything else until a stable sg is declared!

Thanks to everybody for you advice.....I will take a SG..reading every day and wait it out........

Wade:

AFAIK, Sulfites arenaturally occurring from fermentation. Sulfites are basically SO2. ERGO, arecently fermented wine contains SO2.

Steve

In very tiny minute amounts almost immeasurable with the equipment we
use unlike the C02 that screws up all our measurements until we knock
it down some.

Latest posts

Back